10 weird ways to mix up weird vodka flavors

Flickr/rbieber

College is a time to try new things and have new experiences. These include – but are not limited to – studying abroad, joining a sorority and trying a variety of flavors of vodka. These flavors range from slightly uncommon to just plain gross, but that shouldn’t stop the daring from sampling these exotic elixirs. Although some seem to conjure up images of breakfast food, meat and vegetables, there are a plethora of ways to concoct these seemingly vile-sounding spirits into delicious drinks.

Bakon vodka

While bacon may be a great hangover food, there is nothing like drinking its flavor to achieve intoxication. Just hearing the drink title “Bakon Chocolate Martini” could make even Andrew Zimmern cringe, but the concoction actually isn’t horrible to try. Mix two ounces of Bakon Vodka with two ounces of chocolate liqueur. Add in some cream and shake for an interesting mix of flavors. Recipe from sheckysnightlife.com.

3 olives cake vodka

Cake doesn’t sound so bad, right? At first glance, the beautifully decorated bottle sparkles with rainbow sprinkles and light blue font. At first smell, the liquor wafts into the air and instantly triggers the immediate need for fluffy, moist Funfetti cake. At first taste, however, this potent and overly sugary liquor needs a few mixers to make it more bearable. To make this vodka into a birthday treat, fill a shot glass with chilled cake vodka then top with whipped cream and sprinkles. The whipped cream and candy topping will mask the potency of the liquor while bringing out the best of the sweetness. Recipe from threeolives.com.

Smoked salmon vodka

A morning breakfast of bagels topped with fresh lox could easily be replaced with this spin on a Bloody Mary. Mix one teaspoon of Horseradish, four splashes of Tabasco sauce, two ounces of Alaska Distillery Smoked Salmon Vodka, two ounces of Clamato juice pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Pour over ice and serve cold. Recipe from sheckysnightlife.com.

Gummy vodka

What better way to start any night than taking a trip down memory lane with childhood candy favorites. Remember the days of munching Gummy Bears in front of the TV watching Power Rangers after school? The latter may be off the air (sadly), but the kid-tested-dentist-abhorred gummy treat certainly hasn’t gone anywhere. To give Pinnacle Gummy Vodka a proper chance, try a Gummy Cosmo. This recipe is about the same as a Cosmopolitan with the addition of Gummy Vodka. Mix two ounces Gummy Vodka, one-half ounce triple sec, one ounce cranberry juice and a splash of lime juice. The ladies of “Sex and the City” may have missed the boat on this adaptation of their favorite cocktail, but that shouldn’t stop UMass students. Recipe from pinnaclevodka.com.

Birch syrup vodka

For a breakfast theme sans salmon, try pancakes any time of day accompanied with a Pancake Martini. Mix 1.5 ounces of Birch Syrup Vodka with one ounce of Frostbite Blueberry Vodka, one-half an ounce of Monin Cinnamon Syrup and cinnamon and sugar as desired. Shake the ingredients for a delectable breakfast drink. Recipe from sheckysnightlife.com.

Garant pickle vodka

Feeling like Snooki and craving pickles? Since “Jersey Shore” the airwaves tonight, get in the spirit and try this recipe using pickle-infused vodka made by the Russian brand, Garant. To make a Dirty Pickle, pour four ounces of the pickle vodka, add some Vermouth and garnish with an actual pickle. Recipe from shecksynightlife.com.

Whether lox is undeniably alluring or gummies seem more appealing, these seemingly disgusting liquors can actually be delicious when mixed properly. Trying new liquors is fun, but just remember to sample each on separate occasions to avoid alcohol poisoning or unwanted mistakes.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].