“Glee” hits a high note with “On My Way”

Courtesy of Hollywood.com

Well, the New Directions won Regionals for the second year in a row, but the big win played a small role in this week’s episode of “Glee.” Instead of focusing on the importance of winning a competition, the writers focused more on the characters. This shift led to a drama-filled and touching episode.

Kicking off the episode was Sebastian’s threat to post a doctored nude photo of Finn online. The threat was designed to keep Rachel from competing in Regionals, but this issue is quickly overshadowed by Dave Karofsky’s attempted suicide. Intercut with Blaine’s spot-on delivery of “Cough Syrup” by Young the Giant, Karofsky’s tragic decision and the events that lead up to it are easily some of the saddest and memorable scenes in “Glee” history. A combination of stunning camera work and great acting from Max Adler brings the true and deep pain that young people in Karofsky’s situation experience to life in a believable way.

This tragedy gives the both the New Directions and the Warblers a much different perspective on the upcoming competition. The animosity between the two groups is gone and they agree to both dedicate their performances to Karofsky. Mr. Schuester helps the New Directions to find meaning for their performance with a touching lesson. After sharing his own brief thoughts of suicide, he urges the glee club to think of one thing they are looking forward to in their lives.

They obviously find the inspiration they needed, because the message of their performance was clear. The New Directions deliver an uplifting celebration of life with the combined set list of a mashup of Rihanna and R.Kelly (“Fly/I Believe I Can Fly”), a fierce Troubletones number (“Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson), and a classic Rachel solo on “Here’s to Us” by Halestorm. The Santana/Blaine rap collaboration and reappearance of Brittany’s vocals are just some highlights of the performance.

Here is a sample of what the Troubletones bring to the Regionals table.

The Warblers also do a great job with their renditions of “Stand” by Lenny Kravitz and “Glad You Came” by The Wanted. Unfortunately, their private school charm is not enough, and the New Directions prevail. However, Sebastian does keep things interesting, and since Sue has gone soft lately (and decided to have a child) “Glee” could use a good antagonist. Here’s hoping that this isn’t the last we see of the Warblers this season.

After realizing that it is important to appreciate what you have to look forward to in life, Rachel and Finn decide to speed things up a bit and schedule their wedding for right after Regionals. Although their parents remain firmly against this decision, Quinn (flaunting her new/old Cheerios uniform) finally gives Rachel her approval, and agrees to be a bridesmaid.

Despite being sickeningly sweet, it is a great “Glee” moment when “Chapel of Love” plays as Rachel and Finn don their wedding attire and are joined by the rest of the glee club in bridesmaid dresses and tuxedos. However, the wedding is postponed by Quinn’s late arrival.

The last scene of the episode shows Quinn getting into a major car accident, because she was texting while driving. The show ends on a cliffhanger, and Quinn’s fate remains unknown. With two months until the next “Glee” episode, this might just be the worst cliffhanger in “Glee” history.

Molly Keegan can be reached for comment at [email protected].