Kicking the Cliffs of Moher off the bucket list

Courtesy of Keriann O'Riordan

Pack your bags; we’re going to County Clare, Ireland! One thing that any tourist, Irish lad or lassie will tell you is to add visiting the Cliffs of Moher to your bucket list.  In fact, a few years ago, the Cliffs of Moher were listed among the top 30 global locations on the online New Seven Wonders of Nature campaign!

For starters, the view is breathtaking.  The phrase “a picture is worth a thousand words” is perfect for the Cliffs of Moher because words will never do them justice.

The landscape is simply gorgeous, and you get plenty of exercise walking up the steep hill to reach the top.  If you’re lucky, you might get to see a puffin, one of the major colonies of nesting seabirds in Ireland.  The Cliffs themselves are beautiful, but you’re also given the added bonus of seeing the Aran Islands and Galway Bay across the water.

There are plenty of gift shops selling all kinds of souvenirs: the signature Irish wool sweater, key chains, and plenty of Ireland-themed attire.  Anything you can think of can be found at the gift shops, which are interestingly built into the side of a cliff.

Nothing beats the terrifying but exhilarating feeling of standing inches away from the slippery edge of a cliff.  Later on, when you’ve had your fill of the fantastic views and you’ve spent too many Euros on things to bring home for your friends and family, you can stop by the Cliffs View Café or the Puffins Nest Coffee shop.  Just don’t try to order an iced coffee because the Irish don’t believe in such a thing.  If you try to order one I promise you will be given some confused stares.

The Cliffs of Moher are one of Ireland’s most treasured and beautiful locations and are most definitely a must see! Add that to your bucket list!

Keriann O’Riordan can be reached for comment at [email protected].