Letter to Editor: Contraception Column

To the Editor,

I would like to respond to the piece written by Harrison Searles entitled, “Economic foibles of mandating contraception” in the Opinion & Editorial section of Wednesday’s paper. While I believe it is our right to express our own opinions in the press and in this country, I have a few issues with this piece. I commend Searles’ piece as it tried to veer away from the overwhelming moral argument that has been the focus of this issue for quite some time. However, it was inaccurate, misrepresented and misinformed.

My first issue is with the title and tone of the piece itself.  The phrase “mandating contraception” is misleading, and if more research is done on President Barack Obama’s health care reforms, you’ll find that contraception isn’t being forced on anyone. The thing about the president’s plan for healthcare is that it does not “[force] everyone to purchase health insurance” as Searles’ column will make it seem.

I don’t believe there is one person in this country who can’t say that they don’t want some form of health insurance to cover the costs of their medical needs and phrasing this plan as “forcing” is just more useless rhetoric. Under Obama’s reforms, any American can buy their own form of health insurance. The beauty of his reforms is that those who can’t afford their own health insurance, or the right insurance for their needs, will be provided with it anyway. Universal health care used in this way protects those who can’t protect themselves on their own wages while allowing the more well-off population to still choose.

But this is not the main reason why I’m upset over this piece. This piece is written from the perspective of Searles, a white male, who I’m assuming is middle-class. What is missing from this piece is the perspective from the group of people to mostly be affected by these healthcare reforms: women. And not just white, middle-class women, but all kinds, from every race and class. Comparing birth control to “toothpaste and soap” is an outrage and a slap in the face to every woman who relies on birth control in this country. Giving out the prices of condoms and the pill in the same sentence and then assuming what is “low cost” to everyone is a view which cannot be tolerated when there are so many different people affected by these reforms.

There are people in this country who have to choose between paying their bills and eating, let alone having the extra cash to pay for birth control. And “allowing such pills to be sold over the counter …” is not as feasible a solution as Searles seems to think. The pill is prescribed by a doctor for a reason.  Its hormones can alter one’s body, and they have to be prescribed with an understanding of the patient’s body and chemical makeup. The problem isn’t availability, as the pill is manufactured every day and there are a large range of different brands.  The problem is what it has always been in this country: access. Women who are less able to afford extras can’t spend money on birth control when they are struggling to pay their bills. The white middle class is never much affected by such things, so maybe Searles has never had to put much thought into this aspect, but it affects a majority of the country. Access has been the biggest hurdle for every minority group to overcome and it is why our system – a patriarchal, white system –  is failing our country as a whole.

And we are ignoring the implications of what birth control does for the economy of our country. Searles tries to argue that “…they are taxing gays and lesbians, couples who are trying to have children, Catholics and the elderly … in order to provide services for the rest of society.”  But the fact is, we are taxed for things every day that we don’t use. The elderly are taxed for school, people who don’t read are taxed for libraries in their towns and people whose houses don’t catch on fire are taxed for the fire station. When you live in a society that has diversity, you are going to have to have your taxes go far and wide and pay for many things, some of them apply to you, and some of them don’t. Not only that, but the costs of birth control versus the costs of a pregnancy and, as a result, another human, are much easier to deal with. Would you rather have women who can’t afford a child bringing babies into the world, or would you rather women have access to birth control and save everyone money (and heartbreak)?

So I hope that this sheds some light onto what was otherwise a very biased and uninformed article.  I know Searles might not mean to be pushing such anti-feminist views, but they came off as degrading and offensive.  The next time Searles condescends to call birth control a “nonsensical feature” or tells us to go out and buy condoms on Amazon.com instead, please don’t.

–         Cameron Manderfield, University student