UMass crime log: Feb. 6 to Feb. 12

Tuesday, Feb. 6

At approximately 9:30 a.m. there was a report of a disturbance in Prince Hall. An officer arrived. Apparently, there had been an argument that turned into a physical altercation between two women regarding a man who had been making frequent visits to the dorm. Both were offered to register a restraining order under Massachusetts Law 209-A, but they declined. Neither individual needed medical attention.

Thursday, Feb. 8

At approximately 12:15 a.m. two officers on patrol spotted a man and a woman walking down Thatcher Way. University of Massachusetts Deputy Chief of Police Patrick Archbald said that one of the officers recognized the man as “someone who we have had dealings with in the past.” The man was reported to have an active trespass order which stated that he could not step foot on the University campus. When confronted, he told the officers that he was simply cutting through campus. He was not arrested due to this claim and was instead issued a summons to court. “We have reason to believe that this individual has been some sort of a threat to the campus over the last two years,” said Archbald. “If he was found in the Campus Center, sleeping on a couch or causing a disturbance, then he would have been arrested.”

At 12:35 a.m. an officer pulled over a motor vehicle. The driver of the car informed her that about 10 minutes earlier there had been two streakers outside of Kennedy Hall. The officer checked the area and found nothing. UMPD reviewed video footage of the area and it was seen that two women had disrobed outside of Thoreau Hall and ran through the Southwest Mall before returning to the Thoreau lobby. There were a number of people who witnessed them running through the area and one witness took pictures of the incident. The two women were located and admitted to having streaked through Southwest as part of a birthday celebration. They each received a summons to court.

At about 10:15 a.m. a man went to the UMass police station and reported a larceny. On the previous day, he had left his dorm in Crabtree Hall at 11:30 a.m. and returned at 1:45 p.m. to find that his 1958 cherry sunburst-colored Les Paul guitar had been stolen from his room. He had left the guitar on his bed in plain view from the door, and stated that he thought he had locked his door. The value of the guitar is listed at $3,700. UMPD is currently reviewing video footage from Crabtree Hall. The victim has a roommate, but he is not a suspect.

At approximately 5 p.m., UMPD received a call from an individual in Lot 75 near Stockbridge Hall who had reportedly witnessed one vehicle striking an unoccupied vehicle before driving away. The owner of the damaged vehicle was notified of the incident by one of the witnesses and then was met by officers at the scene. The suspected vehicle was identified in a nearby parking lot and it had markings on it consistent with the crash. On Feb. 9, UMPD spoke with the suspect, who admitted to having been at the scene in her vehicle, but she claimed to have been unaware of striking another vehicle.

“There are a fair amount of vehicles that either slip out of park and damage other vehicles on their own, or – like in this type of situation – one car scrapes or bumps another car and the driver thinks it is minor damage and they continue to drive,” said Archbald. “We see a fair amount of this.”

Friday, Feb. 9

Officers were dispatched to Prince Hall at 4:37 a.m. after two women reported a breaking and entering as well as a burglary. One of the women woke up to find a man rummaging through some items on a desk. Once he saw her awake, he ran out of the room and up the stairs. The women identified the suspect as a college-aged man, approximately six-feet-tall, wearing a t-shirt and dark-colored shorts. It is believed that a speaker from an iPod dock was stolen. After reviewing video footage from the area, there were no suspects that could be found, so Archbald believes that the male may live in Prince Hall as well. “If we have a break-in to a room at that hour, and if the suspect was leaving the building, it would not have been hard to find the suspect in the video footage. But if he was a resident of the building, he would have obviously found a home,” he said. There were no suspects found after searching the building, so the investigation is still open.

Officers were sent to Governors Drive after a report was made regarding a larceny from a motor vehicle. The victim reported that a Big Y bag was stolen off of the passenger seat at some point during the day containing prescription pills, granola bars and $860 in cash. There were no suspects listed by the reporting party. Video footage is currently being reviewed by UMPD.

Sunday, Feb. 11

At 12:15 a.m, an 18 year old Hubbardston woman was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and destruction of property with at least $250 of damage. An officer observed a woman urinating between vehicles in Lot 32. She was fully unclothed below the waist and was in a well-illuminated area. While urinating, she damaged one of the car doors. According to the officer, she apparently lost her balance, banged into the door and dented it. She appeared to be under the influence. [Redacted] was then placed into custody and handcuffed by another officer.

At 3:36 a.m. Jae Bin Im, 20, of Harrington Park, N.J., was arrested on charges of operating under the influence and marked lanes violation. An officer observed a silver Mercedes Benz traveling north on University Drive, which, after passing Southwest Circle, was driven up onto the traffic islands three separate times. Im turned right onto Mass. Avenue where he strayed out of the marked lanes several times. He then turned on his right directional and did not turn. At that point the officer pulled him over and gave him a field sobriety test, which he failed. Im’s BAC was measured at .16 – twice the legal limit.

Monday Feb. 12

At 2:12 a.m., Augustus Edward Canzano, 18, of Northampton, was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and malicious damage to a motor vehicle, and Maxwell R. Hickle, 20, of Westhampton, was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct. While on patrol, an officer observed Canzano in Lot 32, kicking the door on the driver’s side of an unoccupied Honda, as well as kicking the driver’s mirror. According to the officer, the suspect claimed that he did not own the car and did not know the owner. Scuff marks, scrapes and dents were found on the door and were estimated to amount to over $250 of damage. Hickle was seen kicking the passenger side of the car, but there was no damage to the car on that side, so he was only charged with disorderly conduct. UMPD is working to contact the owner of the vehicle.

Taylor Snow can be reached at [email protected].

This article has been updated to remove a name, in accordance with the Massachusetts Daily Collegian’s updated name removal policy.