Van Halen returns to former glory

For fans of Van Halen, the 1985 departure of David Lee Roth was viewed as an end to the core of the iconic hard rock group.

Facebook

He was a charismatic frontman that provided Van Halen with an extremely powerful and versatile voice. Even outside of the songwriting and singing departments, Roth helped the other members of the band present the typical rock band image, which included non-stop touring with wild partying and concerts, along with superb musical abilities. Roth and guitarist Eddie Van Halen combined to make a formidable duo, combining lyrics and music to give the band its signature sound.

It has been 14 years since Van Halen’s last release of an album with brand new material, and nearly three decades since Roth recorded with the band, but in Van Halen’s newest release, “A Different Kind of Truth,” they’ve reunited with lead vocalist David Lee Roth to provide their fans with the sound that made the band famous.

In addition to Roth, Wolfgang Van Halen, the son of lead guitarist Eddie Van Halen, debuts as the band’s new bassist, replacing Michael Anthony who now holds down low-end duties for rock supergroup, Chickenfoot.

While the lineup from the original band has been altered up until this point, the spirit of the original Van Halen remains. True to their form, “A Different Kind of Truth” is a straightforward rock album that combines hard and fast drumming, guitar solos and vocal belting.

The album opens with “Tattoo,” a song about the adrenaline rush associated with getting a new work of art on one’s body. The song’s simple lyrics combined with powerful guitar riffs effectively evoke the sensation a person gets when a needle is about to pierce and inject their body with ink.

While the lyrics on “A Different Kind of Truth” are not superb or inspiring, the album’s high caliber of musicianship more than makes up for them. Alex Van Halen has always been considered one of the premier drummers of his generation, most famously showcasing his skills in the opening minutes of Van Halen’s famous “Hot For Teacher.” And on this new release he proves that his drumming skills have not faltered in the course of the band’s career.

Eddie Van Halen is well known for popularizing the technique of two-handed tapping, which became his signature showcase at live performances. The third track, “China Town,” gives the best example of the Van Halen brothers’ music skills. It begins with a strong guitar intro joined by powerful, rhythmic drumming, which perfectly locks the song into a fast-paced fervor.

Van Halen is often described as an arena rock band – a group specifically designed to play before live audiences of thousands of screaming fans. The band is famous for its ability to put on an entertaining show, and its concerts are infamous for being the stereotypical rock concert – wild moshing and general rowdiness with lots of security standing by.

The band members themselves take the time to display their musical talents. Eddie performs extended solos, and Alex goes wild on drum solos. The music on “A Different Kind of Truth” is well suited to be played live, and one can imagine the energy that would emerge from the crowd during a live performance of “As Is” or “Outta Space.”

One of the more interesting tracks on the album is “Stay Frosty,” which has perhaps the most unconventional and unexpected intro amidst the opening power chords and snare drums or the other songs. “Stay Frosty” begins with an acoustic set and Roth singing in a subdued voice that shows his vocal skills; he and Eddie Van Halen have a call and response segment that plays throughout the track. It alternates between acoustic sections and those more influenced by blues rock, making it one of the better written songs on this album.

For those hoping that Van Halen would return to their old selves in their new album, they won’t be disappointed. The music will remind listeners of the beginning of Van Halen’s career, when they were known for the loud, rambunctious music that caused stadiums to overcrowd, and jail cells to be filled with wild fans.

Adam Colorado can be reached at [email protected].