Doug Ratner and the Watchmen Pearl Street CD release show preview

Courtesy Doug Ratner and the Watchmen

This Friday night at the Pearl Street clubroom in Northampton, Springfield natives Doug Ratner and the Watchmen, also known as DRAW, will host a CD release party for their brand new EP “Lessons Well Learned.” Westfield four-piece 23 Enigma will provide opening duties.

“Lessons Well Learned” is DRAW’s first release since their 2010 full length debut “Eye To Eye,” which put the band on the map in the western Massachusetts rock scene as a hungry and rowdy force to be reckoned with. As per Ratner’s tenacious claim that the band was “born in the wrong decade,” “Lessons Well Learned” continues where their debut LP left off – starry-eyed ‘60s and ‘70s classic rock adoration filtered with a contemporary edge.

“Lessons Well Learned,” however, also signifies a new direction for the band by focusing its lyricism and songwriting largely on social issues. With songs like the Guns ‘n Roses ballad-esque “Ghost in the Mirror” about alienation and depression of school children, and raucous opener “Bomb in the Backseat” about terrorism in the technological age, DRAW’s new EP continues the sound of “Eye To Eye” while also evolving the subject matter to new heights.

“It signifies a major shift in the songwriting, and it has given us a true purpose as to what we stand for as a band,” said front man Ratner. “The world is a dark place, there’s no denying it, and as artists, we feel it’s important to bring these topics to light while unifying people in the name of music.”

The band’s new direction is certainly making an impression on certain people. According to Ratner, the band was “kicked off” of the local TV show “Mass Appeal” on WWLP, an affiliate of NBC, after playing “Bomb in the Backseat” yesterday. While disappointed with the outcome, Ratner says the band’s Facebook page has been “blowing up” ever since. He also feels it appropriately frames the main concept behind the new EP: “To revive rock n’ roll back into this world by highlighting issues in society that mainstream media is afraid to cover.”

After this “fiasco,” Ratner says the Watchmen are revved up to hit their release show as hard as they can. The band will play new songs not recorded on either of their two albums, as well as the entirety of their latest release “Lessons Well Learned,” and finally some cuts from “Eye To Eye.”

As natives of western Massachusetts, the rockers are excited to be having their release show at Pearl Street.

“Pearl Street is one of the only venues in this area that lends itself to a good rock n’ roll experience,” said Ratner. “[It’s] a little grungy, with a good stage, dark lighting and a really good vibe.”

Of opening act 23 Enigma, Ratner says they’ve only known the band for a short while, but immediately recognized them as another hard-working band in the scene upon sharing the bill with them at a gig in Westfield at Shenanigans.

“They [23 Enigma] offered us that show in Westfield, which was very cool. They put the whole thing together, got all the bands. That’s very cool and it shows a good work ethic,” said Ratner.

The show will start around 9 p.m., but doors will open earlier. Tickets are on sale for $10 in advance or $13 at the door. For more information, visit iheg.com or facebook.com/DougRatnerandtheWatchmen.

Dave Coffey can be reached at [email protected]