Mitchell: New edition of original Halo brings nostalgia

Commorancy/Flickr
Commorancy/Flickr

Clinging to the past is an integral part of the human condition. We look back on childhood memories with love and endearment – flashlight tag, swimming out by the old creek or shutting yourself in your bedroom for eight hours to play the newest video game. Our generation is obsessed with technology, and so we feel we must update video game classics to trigger that sweet, sweet nostalgic.

“Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary” celebrates 10 years since the release of the initial “Halo: Combat Evolved” for the original Xbox. This release features updated graphics as well as online multiplayer and collectible skulls, which offer extra features for campaign play. The remake is credited to 343 Industries, not Bungie, which is the game’s original developer.

Some of the updates are well done, but some push the game a little further. For example, one of the characters, Captain Keyes, has a much younger look than he did in the original. While the change in character model might only minimally impact gameplay, the difference is major for those playing this game for the millionth time and expecting the original Keyes. With a game that has been played and replayed so many times, it is inevitable that some fans will be disappointed due to even the most minor of inconsistencies.

For those who have played the original, a flood of memories will wash over you. From the opening cut scene you will revert to age 12 and experience the same giddiness pulsing through your thumbs. Just like any relived childhood memory, it is predicated on the fondness of a simpler time – a time when the outcome of a virtual alien encounter was the closest thing you had to a responsibility.

Still, the unnecessary reimagining of beloved character models is merely one stinky floater drifting out in a sea of greatness. Yes, it is a remake of one of the most popular games ever made – success is practically a given – but for a paltry $39.99 (Gamestop.com), it offers a great way to get a game for $20 cheaper than any other new game. For those on a budget, this is definitely an enticing deal. It is also a nice change for those who would rather bank on games they know they will like, rather than take a risk on a brand new $60 title that could be a complete flop.

The graphical updates are impressive to say the least. This is not only seen in the brighter, more realistic environments as exemplified by crisp, glimmering blades of grass coating the landscape, but it is also seen in character designs. Elites now not only appear in different colors, but also don ornate head dresses and uniquely patterned armor.

This game also offers a multiplayer feature that allows players to use Xbox Live to cooperatively or competitively play, which they could not do previously. This is quite the change from the cramped stew of prepubescent boys huddled in an unfurnished basement, pounding down sugary soft drinks – the primary benefit being that we can do exactly the same thing but without having to see any of our friends’ ugly mugs.

The audio also seems to have been updated. The resounding click of a pistol cock seems to yield a much crisper sound than it did previously.

While remaking a game in lieu of developing new content can be seen as a weak move by a game developer, when it is done well it can still be art. Especially in such a well-known classic, there is added pressure to do so well as to keep both classic fans satisfied and newcomers excited.

If one is debating whether it is worth it to pay $40 for an update of a game that they might already have, there is no question: It is quite a worthy purchase.

“Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary” takes what was great from the original and medleys it with great additions in a way that provides a memorable experience for anyone who is a fan of the series. For those who have never played the original before, this game is a perfect excuse to try out an old favorite that dominated the industry only a decade ago. With talk already in the air for a “Halo 2” remake, people can begin to hope that it lives up to the glory that is this first anniversary edition.

Jeff Mitchell can be reached at [email protected].