Weekend crime log: March 2-4

Friday, March 2

At approximately 12:02 a.m., Gino Alan Monsini, a 20-year-old environmental science major from South Easton, Mass., was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Officers were dispatched to Patterson Hall after a report was made claiming that Monsini had entered into a room uninvited, and was known by neither of the occupants. When officers arrived he was found in the basement, where he was identified. According to University of Massachusetts Interim Police Chief Patrick Archbald, he had an odor of alcohol, and was placed into protective custody because he “couldn’t care for himself.” Upon being placed into protective custody, he became resistant and additional officers showed up on the scene. He was then put on the ground, placed into handcuffs, and arrested.

At about 1:45 a.m., Samuel T. Delisle, a 20-year-old psychology major from Westminster, Mass., was arrested on a charge of possession of a class B drug. Officers on patrol pulled over a 1995 black Mercedes Benz C220 traveling at a high speed near the intersection of University Drive and Fearing Street. The officers detected the scent of alcohol on one of the passengers, who appeared to be under 21. The passenger, Delisle, admitted to have been drinking, and officers found alcohol in his backpack, along with a bag of a white, powdery substance. Delisle referred to the drug as “Molly,” more formally known as MDMA and in the same family as ecstasy.

At approximately 3:47 a.m., Liam L. McCarthy a 20-year-old sociology major from Edgartown, Mass., was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and malicious damage of property of less than $250. Officers on patrol outside of Brown Hall saw McCarthy kick over a bicycle attached to a bike rack outside of the building. He then began to jump up and down on the bike repeatedly, while yelling and waving his arms in the air. The officers approached McCarthy and after questioning him, it was determined that the bicycle did not belong to him and that he was under the influence of alcohol.

Saturday, March 3

At approximately 12:01 a.m. a two-car accident occurred on the northbound side of University Drive. The owner of a blue 1999 Toyota Camry stated that he was traveling southbound, when a car stopped short in front of him. He said that he tried to avoid hitting the car, so he braked and swerved left, but could not stop due to the slippery conditions, and slid into oncoming traffic. The driver side of his vehicle slammed into the front end of a white 1999 Oldsmobile Alero, causing front end damage to that car as well as driver side damage to his car. Both vehicles were towed, and no medical treatment was required.

At about 12:35 a.m., Nicholas Leo Scanlon, 19, of Franklin, Mass. was arrested on a charge of disorderly conduct. A plainclothes officer in an unmarked cruiser traveling eastbound on Eastman Lane witnessed Scanlon throwing a snowball at a moving vehicle in the roadway. As the officer approached closer, the suspect proceeded to throw a larger snowball at his vehicle, which covered the windshield and obstructed his vision. The officer then stepped out of the vehicle, identified himself, and placed Scanlon into custody.

At about 10:42 a.m, officers were dispatched to the lobby of Washington Hall after a report of a breaking and entering/burglary. At around 2:30 a.m., the victim arrived in his dorm and, according to Archbald, “left the door unlocked for his roommate.” He then awoke at around 10:30 a.m. to find that his laptop, iPod, and wallet had been stolen. The combined value of the items was estimated at $2000. This was the first of two breaking and entering/burglary reports in Washington dorm on Saturday. There are no reported suspects at this time for either case.

Sunday, March 4

At about 12:35 a.m., Andrew G. Savage-Boissonna, 23, of Leverett, Mass., was pulled over on University Drive after failing to stop at the intersection of University Drive and Massachusetts Avenue. The officer on patrol identified the operator and discovered that Savage-Boissonna had an expired license. He received a summons to court, and will face possible charges of failure to stop/yield and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle.

Taylor Snow can be reached at [email protected].