Anticipated Outcomes of the New Residential Complex

Maria Uminski/Collegian

In the coming years, the student body of the University of Massachusetts will continue to see changes across campus as multiple long-term construction projects are completed and new buildings change the campus’ landscape.

The addition of the new Commonwealth Honors College Residential Complex (CHCRC) was inspired by facilities planners and administration members hoping to emphasize the honors program and to attract better students to the University, improving the school’s overall stature. The building’s location near the core of the campus, though, will bring attention to the adjustments the UMass community will have to make. It also raises questions about the social, academic and reputational values this complex is expected to bring to the university.

Jim Hunt, the communications manager for facilities planning, explained why he thinks the CHCRC has an important role in the University’s goals for the coming decades.

“It is a trend,” said Hunt, “Not necessarily a new one, but one that’s been around in higher level education; to create an honors college campus within a campus. One of the motives in doing this was to position ourselves in the marketplace and to compete for the best and brightest students and professors.”

Hunt said UMass is trying to elevate itself from traditionally being viewed by top-flight high school students as a “safety school,” and is trying to set for itself higher academic standards.

Other public universities that have constructed on-campus honors residential areas include the University of Connecticut, Colorado State University, the University of Florida, Arizona State University and San Diego State University.

New plans for parking are also on the horizon for the campus, which the CHCRC took the first steps toward initiating. Hunt said the long-range goal is to gradually push all parking to the perimeter of the campus in efforts to go green, build open space and to promote campus community interaction. Along with these aims, campus planners are calling for more buses. “They’re trying to get to a point where you don’t wait for more than five minutes for a bus,” said Hunt.

To some students, this complex and campus life changes are going to produce several benefits. Deanna Julian, a senior biology major in the Commonwealth College honors program, thinks the project is an all-around great idea, both for the layout of the campus and for students. “I’m jealous I don’t get to live there,” she said.

As a track and field student-athlete for the Minutewomen, Julian is committed to learning and to building positive relationships with her professors, colleagues and teammates, she said. After living in Orchard Hill for part of her college experience, she said the CHCRC “will be great for Honors students to get something outside of just adding more classes and work.

Another student in the honors program, junior management and public health double-major Caroline Conena, is also optimistic.

“The new complex is a good selling point for UMass and will help draw competitive honors candidates,” she said. Overall, it will raise the value of the school – from the new residential buildings to the new classrooms and lecture halls for guest speakers,” she said.

Bonnie Strickland, a former Commonwealth College professor of psychology, has seen the plans for the complex and knows the goals of the project.

“We’re lucky to have a new complex,” she said, adding that she thinks the complex is going to make for an improved university experience.

However, some students and faculty have argued that students and teachers sharing living space could foster inappropriate relations and be an unfair advantage for the students living there. There is also criticism that the complex could be a detriment to the chemistry of the rest of the student body and end up segregating students too much.

Despite opinions on the social outcomes of the CHCRC, Hunt explained why he thought the complex will allow UMass to grow in a positive direction.

“I’m not giving away any secrets to say that at one time, saying you went to UMass was not the best thing,” said Hunt. “Even though these students are putting up with all this construction and aren’t getting to use these facilities right away, it will mean something special to their diplomas and the reputation of the school they went to forever down the road. It will reflect on them as graduates.”

According to Hunt, the University seems to be taking the right steps in getting away from the perceived “Zoo Mass” reputation it has had for so long.  He thinks the new complex will aid in driving the school toward a reputation of respect and esteem.

Kellie McHugh can be reached at [email protected].