Darlingside to play Iron Horse tonight

Darlingside will host coinciding release parties for each act’s latest recorded efforts.

Both bands were recently featured in the ambitious “Valley Rising” project, a one-off gig and compilation album featuring a star-studded lineup of the best and brightest musicians in the greater Northampton area. The event was mainly organized by Kent.

Kent and his Options will release their new full-length album, “Navigation,” their sophomore effort following their 2010 debut “Neoteny.” According to frontman and main songwriter Kent, the style and six-month recording process of “Navigation” was shaped by the effects of the band’s rigorous, 200-days-a-year-plus touring schedule.

“My overall vision for ‘Navigation’ was to create a collection of songs with the potential to really hit people, both lyrically and sonically,” said Kent in a recent interview with the Daily Collegian. “The goal of this record was to fuse this new burst of inspiration and songs with the live energy that we’ve developed touring full time.”

Kent’s creativity as an independent musician is obvious from his work establishing “The Collective,” a Kickstarter-esque business model wherein fans can contribute both monetary and idea-based donations to Kent’s musical career in return for incentives such as free access to exclusive releases and merchandise.

Building on this creativity, “Navigation” is available for a limited time only on Kent’s website, jamiekent.com, in a variety of pre-sale packages. With navigation-themed package names such as “The Shortcut” and “The Back Roads,” fans can choose to pay $10 for a high quality download of the album or choose to pay more and receive exclusive bonus gifts in addition to the album, such as the aforementioned “Back Roads” package for $45, which includes a high quality download, a signed hard copy of the album, a signed album poster and a backstage ticket to any of the release shows being held across the Northeast.

“I love the idea of ‘short run’ merchandise that only a few people will have. I think it really adds value to the product and helps me really connect with fans on an intimate basis,” said Kent.

And if one great band wasn’t enough, Noho hometown favorite Darlingside will also grace the stage. The eclectic and talented string-rockers got their start as five guys playing musical mad-scientist in a shared apartment in Hadley, and an Iron Horse gig for the quintet is always a warm welcome home.

Following its 2010 recording debut, the simply titled “EP 1,” Darlingside is currently preparing to release its first full-length album, “Pilot Machines,” this summer. Production duties for the disc were handled by Nathaniel Kunkel, who’s also worked with Sting as well as Crosby, Stills and Nash.

The release at tonight’s show will not be the highly anticipated full-length “Pilot Machines,” but rather a limited edition 7” vinyl single featuring the track “The Ancestor” on side A and the track “The Woods” on side B. The single is the second of multiple staggered releases of vinyl singles following the first release in February and preceding the third and final single release this June before the full-length “Pilot Machines” in July.

For these two local favorites, there’s no place like the Iron Horse to share their new material.

“When it comes down to it, [The Iron Horse] really is one of the best venues in the country,” said Kent. “We might not make as much money there as at other places, but for the record release, I’m really more concerned about the show sounding great and creating a memorable experience for everyone in attendance.”

Tickets are still available for $10 in advance or $13 at the door. For more information, visit iheg.com.

Dave Coffey can be reached at [email protected].