Lecturer discusses proper use of sex toys

To sex educator Megan Andelloux, even a trip to Target can yield sex toys.

“[Ask yourself,] how can I turn the objects that are located in Target into a sex toy? You can have magical moments in Target,” said Andelloux during her lecture that kicked off the University of Massachusetts Pride Alliance’s QueerFest.

Spread out on several tables in front of her in Campus Center Room 917 yesterday, Andelloux displayed a colorful array of toys, from items common in local sex shops to bizarre objects that can only be found online.

Among the objects presented were a large Jesus dildo and an even larger dildo that can be filled with lube.

“Sex toys are not just for clitoral owners,” Andelloux said. “I think that that’s really stuck in our society mind that only women … and straight people use sex toys. I’m like, what are you thinking?”

She discussed various factors that influence purchases, such as price and function.

Andelloux emphasized that there are good and bad toys. This can depend on their materials, which are not regulated by the government, as sex toys are still illegal in Alabama. Almost all of the toys Andelloux presented were safe.

She explained that one important safety factor to look for when shopping for sex toys are the presence of flanges, which are ridges at the bottom of anal toys that prevent them from being lost inside the body.

Audience members helped her to demonstrate the use of restraints, paddles and strap-ons.

Almost all of the toys presented can be purchased at Oh My!, a sensuality shop in Northampton.  Andelloux encouraged the audience to buy toys at local shops.

“They need our business,” she said. “Otherwise they are going to go out of business.”

While she advocated for sensuality shops, she also said that no purchase is necessary to have a good time.

“You have 10 free sex toys that are always attached to you, and those are your fingers,” Andelloux said. “They’re free, they’re clandestine and yet they are highly exhibitionist.”

Andelloux has hosted many events like her “Sex Toys 101” workshop over the years, including a lecture about sexuality at UMass in December.

“I love it when groups bring me in other than home toy parties, because we can talk about the whole body as sexual, regardless of who you love or what genitals you own,” she said.

Andelloux sees the issues surrounding sex toys and sexuality as political.

“I’m angry at how society treats sexuality and I think that it’s creating sexually shameful individuals,” she said. “I got into this field because I wanted to prevent people from being messed up and because of what we’re allowed to say and what we’re not allowed to say.”

At the beginning of the workshop, she passed on stickers that read, “the anus is the great equalizer,” a motto she believes is a lighthearted way to tackle a bigger issue.

“Stickers are cute and they’re funny, so it’s a little bit of my anger coming out, but also being like, ‘Hey! Everybody has an asshole! It’s a great equalizer! It doesn’t determine who you love, it’s just there,’” she said.

Event organizer and Pride Alliance Vice President Kitty O’Hara enjoyed the event because she felt it was accessible to all students, not just LGBTQ students.

“I think it’s an event that can include more than just the queer people on campus,” said O’Hara. “I think a lot of people are nervous and this is a really good way to kind of break the ice with people. Plus it’s just a fun event for everyone to do.”

QueerFest will continue throughout the month with various events, including a drag ball on April 20 and a lawn day on April 26.

Sarah Fonder can be reached at [email protected].