Penn State, Delaware winners; SJU struggles continue

Heartbreaking losses continue to be a trend for the Drexel men’s lacrosse team as the season heads into its final games. The Dragons (5-6, 3-1 Colonial Athletic Association) hosted No. 16 Penn State but was unable to hold onto a 7-3 lead against the Nittany Lions (6-5, 2-1 CAA), falling 10-9.

With the game tied at nine with less than three minutes to play, Gavin Ahern scored to put Penn State up for good. Although Drexel held possession following the goal, the Dragons were unable to send the game into overtime, recording their fifth one-goal loss in their last six defeats.

The loss ends Drexel’s three-game winning streak in which it outscored opponents, 27-20. After starting the season 2-5, the Dragons’ three-game resurgence gave the team hope entering the final four games of the season, only to be crushed again by opponents’ late-game heroics.

The Nittany Lions remained unbeaten on the road and have most of their toughest games behind them. Their final three games are all against CAA opponents as they visit Towson this Saturday before hosting Delaware and Hofstra the following two weeks to finish the regular season.

Both teams will try to finish strong to qualify for one four spots in the CAA playoffs, with the semifinals starting on May 2.

Delaware fighting through tough stretch

The Blue Hens continue to live up to their name despite playing a season that has quickly gone south. Delaware (5-7, 0-3 CAA) has picked up back-to-back wins over Michigan and Mercer this week as it prepares to host Saint Joseph’s this Saturday.

Following a promising 2-0 start, the Blue Hens stood at 3-7 before dominating Mercer, 14-2, on Monday and handling Michigan, 11-7, on Saturday. The CAA matchups have been unfriendly to Delaware, a team that has yet to win a conference game but closes its season with three straight conference opponents.

The Blue Hens’ struggles have come on the offensive side of the ball. Before their back-to-back wins, Delaware endured a four-game losing streak where it failed to reach 10 goals in each instance. Unfortunately for the Hens, three of those games were against CAA opponents Hofstra, Towson and Drexel.

Delaware should be relieved that two of its final three games at home, as they are a weak 2-4 on the road this season. Unfortunately for Delaware, two of these games will be played against conference tests Penn State and Massachusetts.

Saint Joseph’s drops its third straight

Saint Joseph’s suffered yet another loss this Saturday when it dropped a winnable game to CAA rival Hofstra, 13-9.

There have been few bright moments for the Hawks (3-7, 0-4 CAA) this season whereas the Hofstra Pride (6-5, 2-2 CAA) are right in the middle of a playoff race.

The Pride’s Mike DeNapoli stole the show as he recorded five points, with two goals and three assists. With the win, Hofstra has won two in a row following a pair of one-point losses.

The team continues to improve and the offensive struggles took a backseat for the day, as the 13-point outburst marks just the fourth time the team has surpassed the 10-goal mark.

Saint Joseph’s, which has lost five of its last six, travels to Delaware on Saturday afternoon to take on the Blue Hens. With just five games remaining on their schedule and a playoff spot out of the picture, the Hawks are playing for pride.

On the other side, Hofstra plays North Carolina in Charlotte on Saturday, followed by two tough tests against CAA heavyweights UMass and Penn State.

Brendan Tuma can be reached at [email protected].