The Culture of ‘Thinspiration’

Courtesy of Tumblr

If you type in “thinspiration” into google you get over a thousand hits of blogs written by young women and their journey to become thin. What does this have to do with the fashion industry? Kate Moss. Naomi Campbell. Chanel Iman. Or does Vogue ring any bells?  Those are famed fashion names for being both beautiful, tall, and lets not forget thin. Whether you are disgusted or a part of the new movement, it’s normal to scratch your head and think: Is this healthy? I struggle with my body image just like the next person, but this seems somewhat extreme and foolish. Can we necessarily blame fashion models for weight that they may naturally maintain, because of their height and proportions? No. Can we look at these examples and be outraged that women are being influenced to starve and practice unhealthy habits?

Absolutely!

There is nothing wrong with exercising and maintaining a weight that you feel comfortable with. Self acceptance is key to personal style and finding what suits your body and personality. Working toward building self esteem and acceptance of things you can’t change, like your height, is what makes fashion worth while; it forces you to be creative in highlighting what you love and hate about yourself.

However, there is something wrong when women are publishing their weight, their goal weight, and even going as far as to post pictures of themselves on the internet. As a society why do we covet frail bodies, and jutting collar bones and hips? Is it right to publicize your weight insecurities and equate happy with skinny? It’s a shameful practice that hurts women.

It’s important to think about what we are telling younger generations about female bodies and style. These “thinspiration” blogs are telling young girls that if they can’t fit into that size two, then they can’t wear those cute things in the store window or be stylish. We are telling them that if they’re naturally curvy and shorter that there is something wrong with them. Within the fashion community there needs to be a revolution, and one that puts an end to this thinspiration crap!

Nia Decaille can be reached for comment at [email protected].