Umac & Cheese launches lunch

Put that frozen package of Stouffer’s macaroni and cheese back in the freezer and take a stroll to The Hatch instead.

rick/Flickr

Umac & Cheese, a new eatery that offers a more sophisticated take on the classic comfort food, features a variety of mac and cheese dishes, vegetable sides and artisan bread. This new addition to The Hatch has undergone a soft opening over the past four weeks, but it officially launched yesterday with the help of Alan Archer, Nestlé professional corporate executive chef. From 11 a.m. until 3 p.m., Archer oversaw production, met with students and helped give away free iTunes gift cards.

“I’ve been here three or five times before, setting it up, doing some planning,” said Archer. He also recognized the eatery as the “first of its kind in the country.”

Located directly across from Sunset Strips and next to Legal Sea Foods, Umac & Cheese resides in the corner nook of the popular dining area in the basement of the Student Union. Stouffer’s, Archer and Assistant Director of Retail Food Service Van Sullivan designed banners and repainted the back wall of The Hatch yellow.

“You could call it Vermont cheddar,” said Archer of the color. “We’re trying to bring a lot of vibrancy and life to this [side].”

A combination of the bright new look and pungent scent of cheese brought a constant flow of students either stopping by to glance at the menu, ask workers a question or try a menu item.

Freshman psychology major Erika Rollins ordered a cup of plain mac and cheese as her first taste of the new establishment. “My friend got it the other day and said it was good,” said Rollins.

Although the eatery launched yesterday, that didn’t stop senior accounting majors Chris Fennell and Zach Bedine from already being frequent customers.

“I’ve had it like three times,” said Fennell. He has ordered the BLT with chicken every time, which he described as “delicious, thumbs up.”

Bedine ordered the BLT as well, calling it “fantastic.”

“I have not [tried others], but I’m sure they’re good,” said Bedine.

Neither Bedine nor Fennell said they had overheard any buzz about Umac & Cheese from fellow students, but they both agreed they would recommend it to their friends.

The BLT mac and cheese includes fresh lettuce, bacon, diced tomatoes, croutons and chipotle ranch dressing over the gooey pasta, costing $7.75. All plate combos also include a side of vegetables or tossed salad, sliced artisan bread and a choice of University of Massachusetts water or fountain drink. The classic cheese is the cheapest plate option, costing $6.25 and simply consisting of Stouffer’s whole grain (all dishes are made with whole grain) mac and cheese.

All other menu items cost $7.75, which include Greek, Buffalo Chicken and Philly Cheese Steak. Greek mac and cheese combines baby spinach, kalamata olives, sundried tomatoes, roasted peppers, feta cheese and stuffed grape leaf with mac and cheese. Buffalo Chicken consists of breaded chicken and blue cheese chunks over mac and cheese, drizzled in spicy buffalo sauce. And Philly Cheese Steak features sliced, Philly-style cheese steak with peppers and onions, topped with mozzarella and croutons.

The Daily Collegian sampled the Buffalo Chicken and Philly Cheese Steak dishes.

The Buffalo Chicken presented a unique flavor with the mixture of the melted cheddar cheese and spicy buffalo sauce. It was spicy and had a kick, but not overbearing. The combination of the blue cheese with the cheddar cheese and buffalo sauce was a bit too salty, but was easily remedied when eaten in combination with the artisan bread. The chicken itself was tender and tasty. Although the mac and cheese itself is not given in a huge portion, the hearty sides help satiate appetites and balance the unhealthiness.

The Philly Cheese Steak was another uncommon dish. The flavor of the steak mixed with the cheddar cheese of the macaroni paired perfectly. The mozzarella topping seemed like it would be too over-the-top, but it was not particularly noticeable when paired with croutons, which evened out the cheesiness and added an extra crunch. Although both dishes are worth trying, the Collegian recommends the Philly Cheese Steak.

Aside from set menu items, Umac & Cheese also offers daily specials, which include Shrimp Scampi on Monday, Duck Confit on Tuesday, Prosciutto Parmesan on Wednesday, Southwestern Chicken on Thursday and Country French on Friday.

Country French is one of the most popular specials, according to Archer. The plate costs $8.25 and includes wild mushrooms, asparagus tips, goat cheese and truffle oil. “I designed it, and it was so upscale I never thought [Sullivan] would choose it, and he did,” said Archer.

Archer proposed recipe ideas to Sullivan, who selected some and included some of his own as well. Together, the culinary duo created the Umac & Cheese menu. Their idea to create Umac & Cheese originated from their dining work on other parts of campus. Archer was at the Hampshire and Berkshire dining commons the last two years doing custom mac and cheese days. From the popularity of those events stemmed the idea to open the first campus eatery of its kind.

“UMass is leading the way,” said Archer.

To sample an original take on the traditional comfort food, head to Umac & Cheese in The Hatch on Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for an afterschool special you won’t soon forget.

Kate Evans can be reached at [email protected].