UMass Dartmouth chancellor chosen

Facebook

In a unanimous vote by the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees, Dr. Divina Grossman has been chosen as the new chancellor for the Dartmouth campus.

Grossman currently holds the position of vice president for engagement at Florida International University. She was among five other candidates selected by the UMass Dartmouth Chancellor Search Committee competing for the position.

In a statement, Grossman said she was “honored to be chosen for the position.”

“Growing up in the Philippines as the daughter and granddaughter of teachers, I never dreamed nor imagined that becoming a university chancellor someday would be possible,” she said.

She added that she is “excited by this exceptional opportunity to lead the university in achieving its aspirations of future growth in research, innovative academic programs and regional and global engagement.”

Grossman will become chancellor after current Chancellor Jean F. MacCormack retires at the end of this academic year. MacCormack has served as chancellor in Dartmouth for the past 13 years.

Grossman was appointed following a search process that began in November of 2011. She was one of 130 candidates who were then narrowed down to six finalists in late March.

“I recognize with deep gratitude the confidence entrusted in me by Chairman James J. Karam, search committee Chair Maria Furman and the Board of Trustees, President Robert. L. Caret, the University community and the residents of the South Coast who look to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth as a beacon of opportunity.”

Michelle Williams can be reached at [email protected].