Connor DeVivo’s goal lifts UMass to victory in opener

The Massachusetts men’s soccer team kicked off the season in the right direction Friday afternoon with a 1-0 defeat over reigning Colonial Athletic Association champion, Delaware.

Coming off their worst season record-wise (4-13-2) since coach Sam Koch’s inaugural season in 1990 (3-11-3), the Minutemen showed defensive prowess throughout, as senior goalkeeper Brian Frame only had to make two saves in the shutout over his home state.

The only score of the match came as a result of a foul against the Blue Hens in the 41st minute. Junior forward Connor DeVivo lined up on the left wing for the kick and smashed his second career goal, and first in nearly two seasons past Delaware goalie Jay Lupas.

“I kind of just caught them off guard,” Devivo told UMassAthletics.com after the game. “The goalie was on the near post … so the far post was open. I just tried putting it on net and luckily it was out of the keeper’s reach.”

DeVivo, who also netted a game-winner in the 2010 season on Oct. 22, at Temple, took three shots on goal – one less than his entire shot total for last season –  and landed two balls on net.

Sophomore forward Josh Schwartz took six of UMass’ 11 shots, but all three that reached goal were stopped by Lupas, who made his first collegiate start in net.

Defensively, the Minutemen were sound as could be, only allowing two of Delaware’s seven shots to reach Frame’s hands. It was a complete turnaround from UMass, who lost last year’s home-opener at the feet of the Blue Hens in a 3-0 defeat, in which eight of Delaware’s 13 shots landed on goal.

With the departure of recently-graduated goalkeeper Shane Curran-Hays, it was only Frame’s third career start, and the Hockessin, Del., native earned his first collegiate win and shutout.

While the starters showed finesse and veteran leadership, Koch was especially proud of the performances by the underclassmen coming off the bench. Freshmen Jake Alvaro and Mark Morris each recorded a shot on goal for UMass. They were two of eight underclassmen that saw action off the bench in the victory.

“Our young players really helped us, especially in the second half with pressuring their defense,” Koch said after the game. “They played simple and they played the way we need to play right now.”

On Monday at 1 p.m., the Minutemen will host Vermont, the second game of their three-game homestand.

Taylor Snow can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @Taylor_C_Snow.