CCSU battles Stony Brook to a draw

By Kat Kent

The Stony Brook and Central Connecticut State men’s soccer teams played to a draw on Sunday after neither team could capitalize in double overtime.

Within the first five minutes of the game, Sea Wolves (6-2-1) forward  Keith McKenna already put two shots on goal, once being caught by Blue Devils goalie Anthony Occhialini and the other being blocked.

Later in the game, CCSU (2-4-1)  had five attempted shots on goal, all of which were no good. Three of the five attempted shots were wide, and the remaining two were saved by Stony Brook goalie Stefan Manz.

Just before the end of the first half, Blue Devils midfielder Jesse Menzies scored the first goal of the game, giving his team a 1-0 lead at halftime.

With only a few minutes remaining in the second half CCSU still leading 1-0, Stony Brook responded when Leonardo Fernandes scored on a shot assisted by Martin Giordano, tying the score at one apiece.

Mustangs streak snapped

Cal Poly’s five-game winning-streak was snapped on Sunday when UCLA held on for a 1-0 win.

After a scoreless first half, the Bruins (5-1-2) capitalized early in the second on a goal by Fernando Monge, assisted by Leo Stoltz.

The Mustangs (5-3) were short of opportunities throughout the contest, being outshot by UCLA, 13-7.

However, Cal Poly got four shots on goal, but were unable to get past Bruins goalkeeper Earl Edwards.

Edwards stopped multiple chances by the Mustangs late, including an attempt by George Malki with two seconds remaining that missed the net.

Saints shut out Albany

After being deadlocked in a scoreless first half, Siena responded with a pair of goals in the second half to come away with the 2-0 win over Albany on Sunday.

The Saints (4-4) struck first in the 74th minute when Falko Friedrich beat Great Danes (2-7) goalkeeper Tim Allen, assisted by Jannis Opalka.

Siena added an insurance goal just three minutes later on a goal by Sindre Ek.

From there, Albany failed to come away with another scoring opportunity the rest of the game.

The Saints outshot the Great Danes, 15-6.

Albany had two real opportunities to score, once from Te Anau and the other attempt on a header shot by Dominic McGarr, both of which came up short.

Kat Kent can be reached at [email protected]