Temple crushes Howard, Saint Louis upsets Creighton

The Temple men’s soccer team won its second consecutive game on Sunday afternoon, beating Howard, 4-0, in Philadelphia, Pa.

Led by a two-goal performance from freshman Jared Martinelli, the Owls (3-3-1) were too much for the Bison (0-10) from the beginning of the game all the way until the final whistle.

The game’s first goal came in the 21st minute when Martinelli tallied his first goal of the day and second of the season on an assist from senior Cody Calafiore.

Only a few minutes had passed until Temple struck again, this time in the 25th minute on a header goal by junior Nolan Hemmer off a corner kick by Martinelli.

The second half wasn’t much better for Howard, giving up two more goals to the Owls only five minutes apart in the 67th minute and the 72nd minute. Junior Jake Lister scored his first goal of the season to make it 3-0 and Martinelli finished the game off with his second goal of the day to extend the lead to 4-0.

The Bison continue the search for their first win when they travel to Maryland Baltimore County on Tuesday. Temple’s next action comes on Saturday when it heads to Rider for a non-conference matchup.

Saint Louis upsets No. 7 Creighton

Two goals from sophomore midfielder Raymond Lee proved to be the difference for Saint Louis in a 3-1 victory over No. 7 Creighton on Saturday night.

Lee, who started the game on the bench, scored the opening goal for the Billikens (5-2) in the 39th minute, just eight minutes after coming onto the field as a substitute.

Saint Louis continued to put on the pressure in the second half, with Lee scoring his second goal of the game in the 49th minute on a rebound off of a shot by sophomore Robbie Kristo.

The Blue Jays (5-2-1) didn’t go down without a fight, answering with a goal of their own in the 62nd minute by freshman Timo Pitter. But the Billikens put the game away for good on a late, free kick goal by Kristo in the 83rd minute to seal the victory.

Saint Louis looks for its third straight victory when it plays host to Central Arkansas on Saturday at 7:30 p.m., while Creighton is also in action against Drake at 7 p.m. in Des Moines, Iowa.

Niagara beats St. Bonaventure on late goal

A late goal in the 84th minute by senior Bryan Da Cruz gave Niagara a narrow victory over St. Bonaventure, 3-2, on Sunday afternoon.

With the game tied 2-2 and heading towards extra time, Da Cruz put the Purple Eagles (6-0-3) in front of the Bonnies (1-8) with six minutes, seven seconds to go in regulation to put Niagara ahead and continue its unbeaten streak that now stands at nine games.

The game got off to a fast start, with three goals coming in the first 18 minutes. Junior Brad Vanino opened the scoring, giving St Bonaventure the early 1-0 lead at the 13-minute mark.

The lead didn’t last very long, with sophomore Callum Willmott tying it up for the Purple Eagles only 58 seconds later. About four minutes had past when the Bonnies regained the lead on a goal by junior Emmett O’Connor.

The half ended with the score 2-2 after senior midfielder Mike Cunningham scored for Niagara with 40 seconds remaining in the half.

Purple Eagles senior goalkeeper Brett Petricek was credited with the win, making six saves in the contest. On the other side, St. Bonaventure’s Abel Bautista made only one save in the game.

The Bonnies host Siena on Sunday afternoon as they try to grab their second win of the season, while Niagara looks to remain undefeated when they face Loyola on Oct. 5.

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected].