Temple falls at home, Richmond loses late

The Temple field hockey team fell to 2-3 on the season, losing to No. 8 Penn State at home, 5-1, on Saturday.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Senior Kelsey Amy led the charge for the Nittany Lions (5-2), tallying two goals and an assist. Also scoring for Penn State were juniors Brittany Grzywacz and Ashtin Klingler, and sophomore Laura Gebhart.

The Nittany Lions got off to a fast start with Amy scoring three minutes, 27 seconds into the game off of a penalty corner for her sixth goal of the season. It didn’t take long before Amy was at it again, scoring her seventh score of the year and second of the contest nearly three minutes later. Both goals were set up by junior Whitney Reddig.

Just when it seemed like Penn State was in full control, the Owls got a goal back when senior Katie Briglia scored her first goal of the season off a penalty corner.

Although Temple was only down one at the half, the Nittany Lions were relentless in the second period, tallying three goals in 10 minutes.

Temple goalkeeper Lizzy Millen stopped 12 shots, while Penn State goalkeeper Ayla Halus only had to make one save on the day.

The Owls return to action on Friday afternoon as they host Delaware. The Nittany Lions welcome Lehigh on Wednesday night.

Late goal tops Richmond

Coming off an 8-1 win against Georgetown, Richmond lost a hard-fought battle to No. 4 Princeton on the road, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon.

The game seemed headed towards overtime until Tigers sophomore Allison

Evans scored the game-winner with 2:43 remaining in the game to secure the victory.

The game saw its first goal when senior Katie Reinprecht scored her third goal of the season to put Princeton (4-0) ahead, 1-0, with 2:42 remaining in the first half.

But the Spiders (3-2) didn’t give up, answering with a goal of their own in the second half, when junior Chelsea Davies tied the game on a penalty stroke in the 60th minute.

Although the score was close, the stats were dominated by Princeton, who outshot

Richmond, 14-4. The Spiders were plagued by penalties, as Princeton had seven

penalty corner attempts in the contest.

The Spiders play their next game on Friday at Duke, while the Tigers host Dartmouth on Saturday.

La Salle’s struggles continue

La Salle was handed its second consecutive loss in an 8-3 defeat to Columbia on Sunday afternoon in New York City.

Coming off a 3-2 loss to Villanova, the Explorers (2-4) failed to keep Columbia off the scoreboard, giving up five second-half goals despite only being down one goal at the half.

Senior Paige Simmons opened up the scoring for the Lions (2-2) just 3:14 into the game, followed by goals from Liz Malone and Anna Scipioni.

La Salle answered with two goals of its own less than 90 seconds apart in the first half on scores by junior Mariel Papa and senior Becca Chylack.

Going into the second half trailing 3-2, the Explorers’ defense melted down, led by two-goal performances from Colombia’s Malone and seniors Gabby Kozlowski and Bridget DeSandis. Olivia Leaman scored the lone goal in the second half for La Salle.

The Lions outshot La Salle 21-14, tallying 11 shots in the first half. Columbia also had more penalty corners (10) as opposed to just five for the Explorers.

La Salle looks to get back on track as it returns home to Devincent Field on Saturday afternoon against Rider. The Lions have a home game on Wednesday against Hofstra.

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected].