UMass field hockey falls to No. 3 Maryland, American

After finding a high level of success against ranked teams, the No. 19 Massachusetts field hockey team was unable to keep the momentum going over the weekend.

With three early season victories against ranked opponents already under their belt going into this weekend’s slate of games, the Minutewomen had every reason to be confident. The momentum dissolved quickly, however, after a pair of tough losses to No. 3 Maryland on Saturday and American on Sunday

The Minutewoman (3-3) lost to the Eagles, 2-1, in double overtime after American (2-4) converted a successful penalty corner in the 93rd minute.

The Eagles took the early 1-0 lead, but UMass came fighting back in the 60th minute, when sophomore defender Lauren Allymohamed scored off a deflection after a penalty corner to tie up the game. But it was the lone goal in a difficult offensive afternoon for the Minutewomen.

UMass coach Carla Tagliente said that she would like her team to let things come to them more, rather than trying to be flashy.

“We are looking for that perfect shot and it’s not going to happen,” Tagliente said. “They just need to be opportunistic and when you do, good things will happen.”

Terrapins shut out UMass

On Saturday, the Minutewomen suffered a 5-0 loss to Maryland despite a 15-save effort by freshman goaltender Sam Carlino.

Tagliente said she was impressed with the play of Carlino, who may have helped UMass avoid an uglier defeat. The first-year player has started every game for UMass this season and has a 2.03 goals-against-average through six games.

“It is hard to say someone had an outstanding game when they let in five goals, but she really did some outstanding things,” Tagliente said.

Maryland opened the floodgates in the fourth minute with a successful penalty corner, then added two more goals in back-to-back fashion in the 22nd minute to jump out to a commanding 3-0 lead.

UMass had its best chance of getting on the scoreboard in the 41st minute, when freshman Noralie Weusthuis let loose a shot that was on target, but swallowed up by Terrapins goaltender Brooke Cabrera.

Maryland added its final two goals in the 61st and 65th minute to give itself the 5-0 win.

UMass will be back in action this Friday when it returns home to host Northeastern at Garber Field.

Matt Levine can be reached at [email protected].