VCU remains undefeated, La Salle’s woes continue

The winning streak continues for the Virginia Commonwealth field hockey team as it defeated Appalachian State, 4-3.

The win marks the sixth win of the season for the Rams (6-0), keeping their undefeated season alive.

VCU came into the contest outscoring its opponents by 10 goals, as starting goalkeeper Megan Botteri had allowed five goals in five games.

The Mountaineers (2-5) were not intimidated by Botteri’s numbers, however, as Jessi Stuart scored the game’s first goal just three minutes in, giving the Mountaineers a 1-0 lead out of the gate.

The scoring didn’t stop there as Dana Wetmore scored off of Emily Knapp’s assist on a penalty corner with six minutes, 46 seconds left in the first half.

Shortly after Appalachian State extended its lead to 2-0, VCU found some offensive rhythm when forward Kelsey Scherrer put the Rams on the scoreboard off of assists from Stephanie Demasi and Chelsea Hill.

About three minutes later, Kendall Farino added a goal of her own to tie the game at two going into the second half.

The Rams dominated the Mountaineers defense the rest of the way, taking a total of 15 shots in the second half.  Two of those shots made their way past Appalachian State goalkeeper Sarah Anderson as Meaghan Neylon and Melanie Marotta gave VCU a 4-2 lead.

Marotta’s goal proved to be one of insurance, as the Mountaineers added just one more goal in the last five minutes of play.

VCU looks to extend its undefeated season Friday, as it takes on Towson.

La Salle’s falls again

La Salle entered the game against Rider looking to get back on track toward a winning season after losing two straight.

However, the Explorers (2-6) came up short again, falling 3-2 in overtime.

Both defenses started out in strong, keeping the game scoreless throughout most of the first half.

The Broncos (6-1) pulled through offensively 24 minutes in when Eefji Kok scored on a back-hand shot to take the 1-0 lead.

The Explorer defense had another setback as starting goalkeeper Lisa Shaffer allowed another Rider goal. Only this time, Sandra Penas scored the goal unassisted with five minutes left until halftime.

La Salle responded in the ninth minute when Becca Chylack scored while in a penalty corner, with assists from Kumar Neelam and Maddy Tettelbach.

Nineteen minutes later, Colleen Kempf added her contribution to the comeback, tying the game at two.

The Explorers had just five shots on goal, making life easy for Broncos goalie Alicia Carthan as the teams went into overtime.

Scoring was hard to find in overtime as the defenses held serve for most of the sudden death period.

The Explorer’s defense gave out in the end as Marlaine Schneider scored after 76 minutes of play.

Tom Mulherin can be reached at [email protected].