Dayton rolls to 7-2 victory, La Salle extends winning streak to five

The Dayton women’s soccer team unleashed yet another offensive assault with a 7-2 road victory over Rhode Island on Sunday.

Dayton’s Colleen Williams recorded her second career hat trick en route to tying former-Flyer Karen Kazmaier for the team’s all-time goals record of 52. Williams is also the Flyers all-time career leader in points (149) and assists (45).

Williams started off with the first goal of the game in the 15th minute to give Dayton (8-3, 2-0 Atlantic 10) a 1-0 lead.

Rhode Island (7-5-1, 0-2 A-10) tied it up in the 32nd minute with an unassisted goal by Jennifer Barrientos.

After Williams scored her second goal of the game and gave the Flyers a 3-1 lead in the 49th minute, Dayton went on an offensive tear and scored its next three goals within a span of one minute, 31 seconds, putting the game away with a comfortable 6-1 advantage.

Rams forward Ari Stanton narrowed the deficit, scoring her team’s second goal in the 88th minute.

The Flyers’ seven goals are the most in a single game for any team in the Atlantic 10 Conference this season.

With the victory, Dayton extended its winning streak to five games, while URI has now lost three of its last five matches.

The Flyers return to action against conference foe Butler on Friday while the Rams travel to Massachusetts on Saturday.

Charlotte remains unbeaten in A-10 play

Charlotte’s stout defense held its form in a 2-0 home shutout victory over Richmond on Sunday.

49ers redshirt freshman goalkeeper Annika McHenry had four saves in her first career shutout victory. Charlotte (8-3-1, 2-0 A-10) has been great defensively of late allowing only one goal in its last four games.

The Spiders (5-6, 1-1 A-10) had its three-game winning streak snapped and was unable to continue its recent defensive dominance by allowing its first goal since Sept. 9.

Charlotte’s Carrie Dail scored the first and only goal the 49ers would need in the 23rd minute after blasting the ball to the back of the net from 18 yards out.

Dail also contributed on the 49ers’ second goal, setting up Alex Meyer’s 78th minute score to give Charlotte a 2-0 cushion.

The 49ers have outscored their opponents, 11-1, during their current four-game winning streak, including a 2-0 record against conference foes.

Charlotte’s 10 goals allowed all season ranks second best in the conference behind Butler.

With the loss, Richmond snaps its three-game winning streak. The Spiders had previously won five of their last six games.

Charlotte plays next on Saturday at George Washington, starting a set of five consecutive games against A-10 opponents. Richmond returns to action on Friday when it hosts La Salle.

La Salle extends winning streak

It took an extra overtime period for La Salle to down Duquesne and come away with a 1-0 win.

Explorers sophomore Anna Dolhansky rebounded a blocked shot by teammate Jessika Kagan and buried the game-winner past Dukes goalkeeper Devon Tabata just two minutes into the extra frame to clinch the victory.

La Salle (8-3, 2-0 A-10) was held scoreless in the first 90 minutes despite outshooting Duquesne (4-7-1, 0-2 A-10), 32-5.

Despite giving up the overtime goal, Tabata tied a career-high with 12 saves, while keeping the Explorers and their second-best offense in check for the majority of the game.

La Salle has outshot its conference opponents, 48-11, in the past two contests, remaining undefeated in the A-10.

Dolhansky’s goal was her second game-winner of the weekend, previously scoring the clincher against St. Bonaventure on Friday.

The Explorers head to Richmond on Friday for their next match while Duquesne hosts Saint Joseph’s on Friday night.

Joey Saade can be reached at [email protected].