The Spooky Seven of Halloween drinks

Mix things up this week with some delicious Halloween-themed potions and concoctions that will be sure to poison you and your friends. For mixed drinks, punches and shots that will spook up the festivities, try one of each of the following recipes for a scary good time.

Bloody Apple Cranberry Cocktail

To create an enticing red punch for the festivities, mix cranberry juice, sparkling apple cider, apple flavored vodka, some cranberry schnapps and ice. Stir all the ingredients and serve for an ice cold and refreshing beverage. A more detailed recipe can be found at thecookingphotographer.com.

Candy Corn Jell-O Shots

No drink list is complete without a classic and clever Jell-O shot recipe. A good formula to make a shot resemble candy corn can be found at thedallassocials.com. Cut oranges in half and hollow them out so that you’re just left with the peel. Make the mixture by combining orange Jell-O mix and vodka. Pour the mixture so each orange peel is halfway full with it. To make a white layer, mix a half cup of water and a half cup of coconut milk and add in some gelatin. Add this mix into the remaining space in the orange peel. Let sit overnight and then cut in half so that the layers are visible when serving.

Axe Murderer

If you’re looking to “kill it” this weekend, then this drink is surely for you. Mix an ounce of amaretto, an ounce of gin, an ounce of white rum, an ounce of Southern Comfort, an ounce of white tequila, some triple sec, an ounce of vodka, some lemon-lime soda and grenadine – and top it off with pineapple juice. While this drink sounds overwhelmingly strong and maybe even disgusting, when mixed all together the taste matches that of cherry Kool-Aid.

Bloody Mary

This beverage is one that is not so scary, but one that will probably help you cure your hangover the next morning. A good recipe is offered at squidoo.com. In a pint glass, mix vodka, sherry, some Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper. Add in a celery stalk and some lime to give it more of a kick. When making your own version, make it as spicy or mild as you like. While these basic ingredients help to create the most basically delicious drink, feel free to add in horseradish, cucumbers or A1 steak sauce to your liking.

Spooky Screwdriver

Another darkly delicious drink comes from the breakfast-inspired “Screwdriver.” While the only two ingredients are just orange juice and vodka, a recipe on divinedinnerparty.com suggests to make this yummy drink scary by using Blavod black vodka. Pour orange juice halfway up an ice-filled glass. Layer the black vodka to fill the glass the rest of the way. For this layering effect, make sure the black vodka is frozen to keep it from settling. Enjoy your extra spooky serving of Vitamin C for the day!

Dra-Kahlua Martini

If vampires are your thing around the Halloween season, serve up this eerily delectable cocktail, which is offered up on divinedinnerparty.com. Shake together ice, an ounce and a half of Kahlua, a half ounce of Cognac, a half ounce of Cointreau, three quarters of an ounce lemon juice, and a half ounce of simple syrup. This sweet drink is irresistible to try.

Dragon’s Blood Punch

If you didn’t love the vampires from the previous drink, maybe you’ll be more apt to try this sugary and sinful punch, which has a recipe that can be found on sofakingdrunk.com. In a large punch bowl, mix a liter of vodka – or more, depending on how intoxicating you want your drink to be – with a half cup of orange liqueur, some red fruit punch, apple juice, cranberry juice and ginger ale. For the latter half of the ingredients, use as much or little of each depending on your taste buds. For a spooky effect, the website suggests to use dry ice to keep the punch cold, as well as create a smoky mist above the punch.

Ashley Berger can be reached at [email protected].