Weekend change ignites goalie competition

With the Massachusetts women’s soccer team trailing by two goals to Temple at halftime on Sunday, UMass coach Ed Matz decided to make a change.

He subbed out goalkeeper Emily Cota for Stephanie Gordon, who lost the starting spot after Sept. 9’s loss to Virginia Tech.

From Matz’s perspective, the change acknowledged both a poor performance and a need to change philosophy for the remainder of the game.

“Emily’s performance wasn’t as strong as we’ve come to expect, but then again neither was our team’s,” Matz said following the 2-0 defeat at Temple. “We thought that halftime would be a good opportunity to put Stephanie in, especially because we were pressing, going for broke trying to get a goal. So we were sending numbers up and Stephanie is a little better with her feet.”

The change has re-ignited a competition for the spot between the sticks, a competition that Matz welcomes.

“I think in this particular case for (Cota and Gordon) it brings out the best,” Matz said. “For whatever coaches are in that situation it is unique to the two players you have, and with Steph and Emily’s personalities I think it brings out the best in them.”

Until the 2-0 loss to the then-No. 11 Hokies, Gordon had been the preferred choice to dawn the off-color shirt over fellow senior Cota. However, Matz made the move for Cota following that loss and, until Sunday, didn’t look back.

Cota recorded three clean sheets in four games following the change, with wins over Boston University, New Hampshire and Siena. Despite a hiccup in the form of 4-0 drubbing by Dayton, Cota remained the definite starter in net.

Until now.

“Well (the starter) is whoever performs the best in practice during the week,” Matz said. “It is a competition. Whoever steps up and has a good week of practice will start on Friday and then we will re-evaluate after the game.

“The same we do with our field players is the same we are going to do with them right now.”

Matz said the competition is good for his goalkeepers as well as his team overall.

“Obviously, both of them want to play, both of them want to contribute and both of them want to get to the Atlantic10 tournament,” Matz said. “But most importantly both of them want the team to win. Whether that is starting or in a reserve position working hard to start I think they are both accepting for either opportunity.”

Going into the weekend, the Minutewomen (7-8) are on the outside looking in on the A-10 playoff picture. In ninth place with six points, UMass trails Butler by two points and Virginia Commonwealth by six, vying for a chance to challenge for the title and a coveted top-four seed.

Taylor C. Snow

Sousa returns; Hlin out

Sophomore winger Tori Sousa has rejoined the team after being excused over the weekend to attend to family issues. With one goal turned in by the Minutewomen over the weekend, the Nashua, N.H., native’s return will be a boost to the offense.

Sousa has provided three assists in this year’s campaign. However, she has yet to find her way on to the scoresheet. In her freshman year, the winger scored four goals along with four assists.

Along with Sousa missing over the weekend, the UMass attack was weakened even further by the departure of Hlin Gunnlaugsdottir, who has returned to her native Iceland. The junior recently withdrew from both the team and school, for unstated reasons.

The attacking-midfielder started all 12 games that she was on the team for and produced a goal and an assist in her short collegiate career.

The Minutewomen will now have to press forward with one less attacker.

The chase for the playoffs continues on Friday, when UMass welcomes the A-10’s joint second place Charlotte to Rudd Field for a 4 p.m. showdown.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @MDC_Okerman.