UMass prepares for three-month cold front

Ryan Trzpit/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts is preparing for the winter weather that might drape over the campus in the near future.

As the winter season approaches, Residential Life for Operations, the Physical Plant and University Health Services prepare for the necessary precautions and actions that must be taken in order to keep campus life free of sickness and injury.

Ted Mone, associate director for Residential Life for Operations, is working diligently to get the campus ready for the snowy weather.

Mone said he plans to compile a list of snow crew employees comprised mostly of volunteers by the end of the month.

He and his staff have also made sure that they are readily equipped with means of snow removal, such as Snowcats and surface-safe melting materials.

In collaboration with the Physical Plant, ResLife for Operations has planned snow removal schedules throughout campus.

“We handle the area immediately adjacent to the residence halls, so usually the entry way to about 10 or 15 feet away from the building. And usually that matches up with what the physical plant does,” Mone said.

Other precautions taken by ResLife include leaving a container of ice-melt in residence lobbies, which can be used as needed by maintenance staff, as well as keeping an eye on snow build-up near emergency exits.

Much to the frustration of students living on campus, the heat had only just turned on about two weeks ago. Mone assures UMass students that the process is worth the wait.

“Once the heat goes on, it’s on,” he said.

Taking into account weather forecasts, outside temperatures and energy costs, ResLife’s financial section works with the Physical Plant’s budget office to project on energy usage costs, Mone said.

“If we have to spend more for energy for a year, it sort of gets adjusted the following year in terms of our budget,” he said.

UMass’ heating system is run by natural gas and/or oil, which is converted to steam that is distributed throughout campus. In order to save money, the heat is turned down as far as safely possible during winter vacation, in consideration of maintenance workers and in order to keep the pipes from freezing.

UHS, despite the winter changes, tends to remain in a regular routine throughout the entire year.

Regardless of this notion, the health clinic does provide services specific to the colder season. Flu vaccinations are administered to students, faculty members, off-campus patients and UHS employees who wish to receive them.

“Cold Care Kits” are available at the Walk-In Care station. These kits contain “over the counter medications (acetaminophen and ibuprofen), throat lozenges, teabags and honey, broth, salt packets for salt-water gargles, and a ‘Cold and Flu’ brochure,” according to Robin Walsh, clinical nurse manager.

As for physical injuries related to the winter season, the clinic has a lighter load than expected.

“Fortunately we see very little frostbite and because UMass typically takes good care of walkways, visits for falls are small numbers,” Walsh said. “We primarily see ankle injuries and wrist injuries, from trying to break the fall.”

As for the task of UMass students, Mone suggests walking cautiously and investing in quality footwear, such as hiking boots with good tread,

“Have fun in the snow, but be careful,” Mone said. “If you’re going to slide down, don’t be sliding down (Massachusetts Avenue) out in the middle of the snow because it looks like a good, fun place to slide, because a plow may be coming along.”

Danielle Kodess can be reached at [email protected].