Amherst town elections open today

Collegian file photo

The Town of Amherst polls will open today for the annual town elections, in which at least 15 University of Massachusetts students will be vying for election for a Town Meeting seat.

The Town Meeting is projected to be made up of roughly 250 seats and it is expected that there will be 24 elected members from each precinct and 14 ex officio members, all of whom vote on warrants which help govern the town.

The UMass student candidates will run in seven of the 10 precincts, which are separated based on their town addresses.

Student Government Association President Akshay Kapoor will be on the ballot in Precinct 4, along with Speaker of the Senate Hayley Mandeville and Washington Hall resident Brandon Graham.

In Precinct 10, there are 11 candidates vying for eight Town Meeting seats. Students Willis Chen of Prince Hall and Frank Jackson of John Adams Hall are among the field of 11, completing the Southwest Residential Area contingent.

Orchard Hill residents Patrick Sadlon of Webster Hall and Marcus Chiaretto of Field Hall are two of five options for Town Meeting in Precinct 2.

Four of the seven candidates in Precinct 3 will represent UMass. Rocco Giordano of Mary Lyon Hall, Nathan Turowsky of Lewis Hall and Gabriel Schmitt of Knowlton Hall make up the contingent of Northeast Residential Area candidates. Sylvan Residential Area resident Julian Poplawski of Brown Hall is also on the ballot in the Precinct.

Four off-campus students join the 11 on-campus students on the town’s ballot. Ritika Bhakhri and Matthew Fortune are up for election in Precinct 1, while Garrett Gowen and Sean O’Connor are on the ballot in Precinct 7.

Anyone registered to vote in Amherst is eligible to submit a ballot. Residents can locate their polling place on the town’s website at amherstma.gov.

All polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Jeffrey Okerman can be reached at [email protected].