Former West Virginia guard Jabarie Hinds to transfer to UMass

MCT

Add Jabarie Hinds to the growing list of transfer guards who have chosen to join the Massachusetts men’s basketball team over recent years.

Hinds, a 5-foot-11 guard who appeared in all 32 games for West Virginia last season, announced on Thursday that he will transfer to the Minutemen. The decision was first reported by Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv.

Due to NCAA transfer rules, Hinds will have to sit out next season, but he is allowed to practice with the team once he’s enrolled. He’ll suit up for the Minutemen starting in the 2014-15 season.

Hinds is the third guard in the last four years to transfer to UMass. Chaz Williams transferred from Hofstra in 2010 and Derrick Gordon transferred from Western Kentucky last year.

“I gained a good relationship with (UMass coach Derek Kellogg) and I felt that’s the best place for me,” Hinds said to SNY.tv on Thursday.

Hinds, a former four-star and top 100 recruit coming out of high school, averaged 7.4 points and 1.6 assists per game last season for the Mountaineers, although it wasn’t enough to help the team avoid a losing record. Hinds also started the first 26 games of the season before losing the starting job later in the year.

On April 1, Hinds announced he would be leaving WVU to pursue playing somewhere else. Last week, he narrowed his selections down to UMass and Atlantic 10 rival Saint Joseph’s before ultimately picking the Minutemen on Thursday.

With Williams graduating after next season, Hinds will likely play a large part in a backcourt rotation that will also include Gordon and Trey Davis in 2014-15, all of whom will have two years eligibility remaining at that point.

Stephen Hewitt can be reached at [email protected] and followed on Twitter @steve_hewitt.