Megan Andelloux teaches students to view sexuality positively

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

With the help of a vulva-shaped puppet named Veronica, Megan Andelloux, aka Oh Megan!, taught students about their anatomy and healthy sex choices during her Fornication 101 Workshop. The event, presented by Voices for Planned Parenthood, drew nearly 150 students to the Student Union Ballroom on March 26.

Andelloux, the founder of the Center for Sexual Pleasure and Health, has brought sexual education to many universities and high schools over the years. Fornication 101 – one of several workshops she teaches – aims to teach students how to engage in healthy, positive sexual behavior.

“People have a fundamental right to know how their body functions,” she said. “Sexual pleasure is a component of overall health.”

The presentation began with Andelloux explaining that all people deserve better sex, regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation. She enforced positive thinking throughout the night, stating that students should not shy away from talking about their sexual desires with their partners.

Self-esteem regarding both the body in general, and specifically the genitals, was encouraged as well. Andelloux explained the origin of the belief that circumcision can be used to reduce masturbation. The idea was inspired by Sylvester Graham and Dr. John Harvey Kellogg. This is the same Kellogg of Kellogg’s brand Corn Flakes

Prior to the workshop, Andelloux explained that when she first came to the University of Massachusetts eight years ago, she was required to cover the windows of the Cape Cod Lounge to prevent passersby from seeing anything explicit. This year, the windows of the Student Union Ballroom were left uncovered, but she didn’t shy away from anything risqué.

In addition to displaying a short feminist pornographic video, meaning that it did not display women in an inferior light, as most porn does, Andelloux demonstrated how one could put a condom on a partner without using his or her hands; use your imagination. She also explained the female anatomy with the help of a puppet named Veronica and described different sex positions.

Some of Andelloux’s other tips included how to avoid razor burn (use baby oil instead of shaving cream, a Mach 3 razor, and finish with palm cocoa butter) and to use colored condoms to better alert you when a condom is broken or misplaced.

In addition to founding the CSPH, Andelloux is a certified sexologist and sexuality educator.

“I love going to medical conferences,” she said, citing that she enjoys being able to turn the medical jargon into educational presentations that students can understand and absorb.

While she has run into trouble bringing her sexuality workshops to other schools, her workshops at UMass have gone off without a hitch in recent years. The final message she would like students to take away from this workshop is when it comes to fornication, “It’s okay to talk about it.”

Jake Reed can be reached at [email protected].