SGA discusses upcoming residential area events, Student Bill of Rights in meeting

Cade Belisle/Collegian

The SGA met Monday night to go over several campus announcements, one of which included a formal draft of the University of Massachusetts Student Bill of Rights.

Student Attorney General Matt Berquist presented a draft of the Student Bill of Rights, which upon finalization, will be released to all students. SGA representatives were presented with copies of the draft for personal review and commentary. The 9-part document outlines the rights students have while attending the University and serves as a way to enhance campus awareness of student responsibilities.

Additionally, the Residential Area Governors attended the meeting to discuss the variety of campus activities scheduled for this spring at UMass. Each Residential Area will have a designated week or weekend where area governments will put on events for residents.

This week, the Southwest Area Government is putting on a series of such events that will include live music, food, basketball and volleyball tournaments, as well as a carnival.

The Senate unanimously passed several motions that allowed for several technical changes to the Residence Hall Association Constitution and SGA By-laws.

The SGA also unanimously passed a motion expressing their support of the Momba vending machines, which dispense  essential items such as laundry detergent, phone chargers and umbrellas. The two pilot vending machines are located in Prince and Dickinson Halls.

The vending machines function at all hours and accept both UCard and cash payments.

Momba will give back 10 percent of net sales to the University and will pay for the installation and maintenance of all machines on campus. The company has successfully integrated the service at several campuses across the state including Harvard University and Boston University.

Eric Bosco can be reached at [email protected]