Songs to relax and unwind to during finals week

Maria Uminski/Collegian File Photo

It’s crunch time, UMass. But just because your life is organized by Post-it notes that litter your walls and desk, that doesn’t mean that you need to freak out about all the finals coming your way. As the ‘80s band Frankie Goes to Hollywood once said, “Relax!” Take a deep breath and take a listen to these songs to mellow you out from the stresses of school.

“Don’t Panic” by Coldplay

“Don’t Panic” opens with soft strumming as listeners get the pleasure of hearing Chris Martin’s soothing voice fill their speakers. Martin and the rest of Coldplay remind us that “we live in a beautiful world,” despite all the final papers.  Make “Don’t Panic” your motto before you tackle that work load.

“Karma Police” by Radiohead

This classic off the band’s “OK Computer” album, is hauntingly beautiful. Frontman Thom Yorke’s vocals are soothing for the soul. The vocals are perfect. The drums are perfect. The guitars are perfect. The piano is perfect. This song is perfect.

“The World at Large” by Modest Mouse

Straight off of the band’s “Good News for People Who Love Bad News” album, “The World at Large” is the epitome of a celestial song. The track’s strings, drumming and soft guitars make it seem as if the listener is drifting through space among the stars or walking on clouds. It is perfect for a much needed time of relaxation. If there were a Grammy for “most dreamy song,” it would win.

“Born to Die” by Lana Del Rey

The song kicks off with a string fanfare that sounds like a glamorous introduction to a 1940s romance film. Del Rey sings, “Feet don’t fail me now, take me to the finish line” in the second verse, which could serve as great motivation for your work. The song as a whole lives up to the glamour in the introduction, yet it is also reassuring.

“Dirty Paws” by Of Monsters and Men

This Icelandic band’s debut album, “My Head Is an Animal,” came out last April. “Dirty Paws” is the opening track and it begins with an acoustic guitar and singers Nanna Bryndis Hilmarsdottir and Ragnar Þórhallsson harmonizing. The song slowly begins to pick up the pace, but remains serene as the band sings a tale. By 2:58, the song hits an abrupt moment of harmonic disorder, before breaking down and delving back into the serenity of the song.

“Burial” by Miike Snow

“Burial” begins with soft ascending and descending chimes. The song then kicks off and takes listeners on a four-minute, 21-second happy journey. Listen to this when you’re halfway through that paper and you will soon find yourself a page or two ahead.

Nathalie Sczublewskican be reached at [email protected].