UMass Community Run for Boston attracts large turnout

Justin Surgent/Collegian

Despite its somber beginnings, the University of Massachusetts Community Run for Boston was a festive gathering created to bring awareness about the victims of the recent bombings at the Boston Marathon and raise money in support of those most affected by the tragedy.

Beginning at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, upwards of 1,000 individuals, mostly students, gathered outside of the Mullins Center to begin the race. The crowd, dressed in the blue and yellow colors of the Boston Marathon, gathered around a large banner reading “Pray for Boston Peace.” The banner was covered in the multicolored signatures of attendees, each accompanied by a message of support and solidarity written underneath.

Two explosives, created from kitchen pressure cookers, killed three and injured nearly 200 near the finish line of the Boston Marathon Monday. Many of the injured were treated at Boston hospitals for amputations and shrapnel removal.

No arrests have been made in the bombing case, though the FBI publicly released a video of two possible suspects, both male, Thursday in an effort to gain any possible leads in the case from the public.

Thursday’s run is one of many UMass community events focusing on supporting the state’s capital in the wake of the explosions. A couple hundred people attended a public gathering Tuesday night at the Haigis Mall to show their support for Boston as well as share their own stories and thoughts about the bombings.

Freshman sports management student Chris Weyant created the Community Run for Boston event via Facebook only two days prior to the race’s date. According to Weyant, the race began as a sign of solidarity with those affected by the events of Monday’s bombing.

“Boston is close to me and it’s close to my family, it’s like my second home,” Weyant said.

Under the awning of the Mullins Center, volunteers waited with boxes inviting attendees to donate to “One Fund Boston.” Created by Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, One Fund Boston, Inc. is the official fundraiser aimed at helping victims of the bombings and their family members.

Weyant was aided by a number of student volunteers who messaged him asking to participate. One volunteer, sports management major Xiaohan Wen, 18, stood to the event’s side with a picture of Boston victim Lu Lingzi pinned to her shirt. Lu, a Boston University graduate student, is one of three individuals killed in the incident.

“I wanted to show my support for the people of Boston” said Xiaohan, who originated from China like Lu. “I wanted to show (Lu) that we all support her.”

Before the start of the race, Weyant stood before the crowd, megaphone in hand to thank the runners and ask for a moment of silence to honor those affected by the attacks. As the crowd became silent, police moved to block the crosswalks in front of the Mullins Center in preparation for the race.

When Weyant gave the cue, the crowd cheered and moved forward across the roadway to begin the 2.7-mile course around campus and back to the Mullins Center.

As runners streamed across the finish line, Weyant stood by to offer each a handshake and gratitude for their participation. Weyant estimates that over $2,500 for One Fund Boston had been raised and according to him, more students were inquiring about how to make donations to the fund.

Though the event was created due to tragedy, Weyant said the run should be a happy event, a reminder to the attackers that Boston could overcome adversity and remain positive.

Mitchell Scuzzarella can be reached at [email protected].