Fashion Week comes to the Big Apple

There are only a few times throughout the year when the fashion industry displays its core essence and since Thursday, one of the fashion world’s most significant showcases has been doing just that.

New York Fashion Week Spring/ Summer 2014, running Sept. 5 to Sept. 12 in New York City, is the place to be for any famous designer brave enough to allow top fashion editors to dissect and analyze their chosen runway collection. Fashion Week also includes other large showcases in Paris, London and Milan.

Flickr/Jason Hargrove

So far, Fashion Week has seen many new faces debut on the scene. One newcomer is Opening Ceremony, a company started by Carol Lim and Humberto Leon, both of whom are also creative directors for the company Kenzo. Their spring line is filled with bright colors, neon graphics, colorful prints and boxy cuts.

This year, the event featured Cabiria plus-sized designer Eden Miller, a first in New York Fashion Week history. Miller created her line of clothing for women sizes 12-24, a population she believes is not given as many options as there should be.

Another fresh face is that of Adam Selman, Rihanna’s costume designer. His line is consistent with the aesthetic he has created with the recording artist, and focuses on lingerie pieces and steamy streetwear.

A famous face that graced the runway this week was Marc Jacobs. Said Vogue’s international editor at large Hamish Bowles of the show: “Fashion’s Wizard of Oz certainly took us on another remarkable journey into his febrile imagination, presenting a collection of outstanding, understated chic that was eerily magical.”

Diane von Furstenberg also shined with her collection inspired by 1970s sexy safari styles, a theme von Furstenberg felt would empower women and give an inspiring message. “Be your own oasis … an unexpected source of renewal, serenity and beauty,” she wrote in her show notes.

Thakoon, Nicole Miller, Tommy Hilfiger, Tory Burch and numerous other designers are included in this year’s lineup. Mercedes-Benz Week will continue hosting New York Fashion Week until Thursday, with  autumn/ winter collections debuting in the Big Apple this February.

Deirdre Cedrone can be reached at [email protected].