Richmond’s enjoys success, Lock Haven continues win streak

After starting the season with four straight losses, including two overtime contests, the Richmond field hockey team improved its record to .500 after beating Columbia 3-1 on Sunday.
The Spiders (4-4, 0-0 Atlantic-10) were propelled by junior Rebecca Barry’s two goals. Barry scored almost four minutes into the game on an outside shot that slid past the Lions’ (3-3, 1-0 Ivy League) goalkeeper.
Six minutes later, Barry struck again as she controlled a blocked shot by teammate Samantha Ostoich and fired it past the goalie.

dennisr.mullins/Flickr

Columbia’s momentum was again set back as Spider sophomore Amy Cooke connected on a pass from Allison Haas and notched Richmond’s third goal of the game right before halftime.
Although the Spiders didn’t score again, they controlled the flow of the game, only allowing the Lions to score once. Richmond’s defense allowed four shots on goal, three of which were saved by senior goalkeeper Anna Zarkoski.
The Spiders will play at Longwood on Thursday at 6 pm, while Columbia will take on instate rival Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y., on Saturday at noon.
Red hot Red Flash
On Saturday, Saint Francis shut out Pacific 5-0 behind strong play from midfielder Selena Adamshick.
Within the first three minutes of the game, Adamshick scored two unassisted goals as the Red Flash (2-3, 0-0 A10) took an early lead and never looked back.
Two minutes later, Adamshick scored again off a pass from Nikki Snyder who was credited with her second assist of the season. She later added another assist to her stat line as she fed Adamshick for another goal in the 42nd minute.
By the end of the game, Adamshick scored five goals to increase her season total seven goals.
Despite dropping back-to-back games against Cornell and Colgate, the Red Flash were able to solidify their defense as they shutout the Tigers (2-6) and reignited their offensive power. The Red Flash will need to continue their offensive and defensive improvement as they prepare for conference play, which begins in a couple of weeks.
Lady Eagles soar
Looking for its third win in as many games, Lock Haven was challenged by Robert Morris on Sunday in a matchup which the Lady Eagles eventually prevailed, 4-2.
Lock Haven (6-2) scored the first goal of the game as junior Taylor Kennedy converted a penalty corner.
However, the Colonials did not lose any aggressiveness as they scored the second goal of the game in the 37th minute.
Lock Haven responded by scoring another goal off the stick of senior Kelly Harsh. Again, however, Robert Morris remained in the game as they evened the score one minute later on a goal scored by Taleah Scott.
The game remained tied for another ten minutes until Lady Eagles’ freshman Lydia George scored her first goal of the season in the 56th minute. Ten minutes later, Harsh added her second goal of the game, which served as insurance for Lock Haven as it closed out the game without letting up another score.
Matthew Zackman can be reached at [email protected]