Second half struggles plague UMass field hockey over the weekend

For the first time this season, the No. 7 Massachusetts field hockey team lost two games in a row, and both losses were due in part to weaker performances late in the game.

Cade Belisle/ Collegian

The Minutewomen (7-4) gave up two goals to New Hampshire final minute of regulation in Friday’s matchup to blow a 2-0 lead, and then lost the game in overtime. On Sunday, after holding No. 2 Maryland to one score in the first half, UMass gave up three goals in the second half despite outshooting Maryland 9-5 and getting 10 penalty corners in the second period.

The Minutewomen have struggled defensively in the second half throughout the season, giving up twice as many goals in the second frame (12) as in the first (six). However, the team has done slightly better offensively later in the game, scoring 17 goals in the second half as opposed to 12 in the first.

UMass coach Carla Tagliente said the reasons for the team’s losses to UNH and Maryland are very different. She said the loss to the Wildcats was due to the team being too cautious with its lead.

“I thought UNH, they rallied, they did some nice things and I thought we got ahead of ourselves and played not to lose,” she said.

Meanwhile, Tagliente said the defensive breakdown against the Terrapins was a case of the team attacking more aggressively to try to make a comeback and leaving openings as a result.

“We took more risk, we moved some people out of the back, up front to get more punch up front, and we got more, but we paid the price in the back,” she said. “You can go up and you can tie the game up, or you can lose big, and so, with us, I would rather go for it than play the game out 2-1.”

On Wednesday, the team travels to Boston to take on Northeastern. The Huskies (3-5) have also struggled had their struggles in the second half, scoring fewer goals in the second period (seven) than their opponents (nine).

Tagliente said after suffering back-to-back losses, the team is just focusing on playing the best field hockey it can.

“There’s little details that are really hurting us here and there, and we’re paying the price for them,” Tagliente said. “So if we take care of the small details, go out and focus on playing our best hockey, the results will take care of themselves.”

Jesse Mayfield-Sheehan can be reached at [email protected] and can be followed on Twitter @jgms88.