‘The Spot’ undergoes renovations

Renovations are well underway as “The Spot,” a student space in the lobby of the Student Union, gets a facelift.

The construction site that currently greets people entering the building will soon become a place for students to gather, hold meetings, study or just relax. This week, temporary walls and warning signs had some curious students trying to get a glimpse of the progress.

Delia Barth/Daily Collegian

According to Erin Donnally Drake, director of Student Activities and Involvement, “The Spot” – designed by a private architect with input from students – is being renovated by the University of Massachusetts construction staff to better meet the needs of students.

“We know there is a great need for student space on campus,” Drake said in a phone interview.

Drake said that in addition to funding the project, members of the Student Government Association have been involved all throughout the design process, from choosing paint colors to furniture.

SGA Speaker Sïonan Barrett said that the SGA allocated $40,000 to “The Spot” renovations as requested by the Center for Student Development over the summer after a coordinating council meeting.

“The Spot” used to be a carpeted concrete cubicle with a few chairs and vending machines. The space was enclosed by a glass wall and sleep inducing florescent lights lit the area.

A poster positioned by the worksite illustrates a much more open student space fitted with the kinds of couches, tables and chairs one might find at IKEA.

A central meeting space is adorned with brightly colored couches and chairs that surround a round table.

The new “Spot” will be complete with televisions that can be used by students.

Drake estimates that work will wrap up before the end of the semester but noted that “construction deadlines are always a moving target.”

Once complete, the new “Spot” will be open to students on an informal basis. Students wishing to reserve the space for organized events can do so through the student activities office.

Sarah Linstrom, a junior majoring in English who was sitting in the lobby opposite the worksite, said that she was looking forward to the reopening of the space.

“With so much construction happening all over campus, it will be nice to have a nice new place to hang out between classes,” she said.

Jason Kotoch can be reached at [email protected].