Case for UMass Gun Club

The University of Massachusetts does not seem like a likely place for a gun club to thrive, but thriving we are. I am sure that if you talked to students and faculty about the prospect of UMass having a club that promoted training and recreational firearms, you would be laughed at. Indeed, at every activities expo, “We have a gun club?” is a common exclamation from those walking by. In our third year now, the UMass Gun Club has a strong membership and more people than ever are attending our events and safety classes.

Andrew Magill/Flickr

UMass is not new to firearms-related activities, as it had the Agricultural College rifle team in the early 20th century. In fact, UMass still owns the overgrown property that was the school rifle range, with firing points, target carriers and pits now intact despite not being used in more than 30 years. It is a long-term goal of the Gun Club to bring back scholastic shooting sports to UMass, which is made possible by student support.

The reason for our success as a club and our ability to generate great interest is simple: guns are a cornerstone of the foundation of American culture. Our club attracts people from all political backgrounds, and both experienced gun enthusiasts as well as beginners. With over 20,000 students from all over the world at UMass, and half of American households having firearms, many students grew up around guns. Of course, many students at UMass are from Massachusetts, where guns are taboo, but they are curious and want to learn more. For some international students, the Gun Club may end up being the only way they will have any exposure to firearms without serving in their home country’s armed forces. I was told by one student that he was here “to experience America,” and “what is that without guns?” I am also proud that our student interest has included more women every year, which reflects national trends in female firearms ownership as people continue to understand that they are responsible for their own safety.

Over the years since my friend and fellow student Sergey founded the club, we have advanced our mission from non-partisan but pro-civil-rights political action to safety and marksmanship instruction. We have proven to the school that we can safely and responsibly teach students about gun safety and how to shoot, and even facilitate proper licensure. The UMass police department has been invaluable in helping us to teach safety classes by providing officers and a classroom. Club training is conducted by club members who are certified firearms instructors by the NRA as well as the Massachusetts State Police. Currently, I am proud to say that all of the club instructors are also veterans, and we have instructed hundreds of students and helped dozens obtain their licenses.

Over the past two semesters, we have been able to organize large group trips to local shooting ranges for the first time. I am also happy to say the UMass administration, which was understandably apprehensive about having a Gun Club, has come around and is working with us to be able to help fund future shooting range events. Currently, we rely on student dues and donations to fund ammunition and targets. These range events provide a safe and comfortable environment for students who have never fired a gun before to have the opportunity, allowing beginners to shoot multiple different types of firearms and start building their own shooting ability. We rely on club officers to bring their own firearms, so students have an opportunity to shoot all of today’s most popular guns. Unsurprisingly, the two favorites are the classic Smith and Wesson revolver and the popular AR-15 rifle. This year, we were fortunate that Troy Industries, a local manufacturer, donated 1,000 rounds of ammunition, valued at almost $400.

Moving forward, our plans include more basic safety courses and a class exclusively about the AR15. The club will continue instructing students in safe firearms handling and basic marksmanship, as well as educating students about preserving a right that I consider inherent to not only the culture, but to the freedom of the United States of America. As chief of training for the Gun Club, I would hope that any of those who are interested or have questions will attend one of our classes or range events. I hope to see you there.

Michael Ball is a Collegian correspondent, and can be reached at [email protected].