Channel Miley Cyrus’s hip-hop chic look

Eva Rinaldi/Flickr

Miley Cyrus has been known as many things, from Disney Channel child star to VMA provocateur. With the incorporation of hip-hop-inspired fashion into her style, she has paved her own lane as a fashion icon as well – and this year, she racked up the “Elle” and “Fashion” magazine covers to prove it.

The University of Massachusetts campus is a great place to try out an edgier look like the one Cyrus has developed over the last two years. While you should not set out to be a carbon copy of the over-the-top pop singer, borrowing from her look is a great way to make your own personal style a bit rougher around the edges.

The most obvious step toward Cyrus’s bold look? A haircut, of course – if you’re feeling confident enough. “I just cut my hair and then it really changed my life,” she said in a July interview with the Toronto Sun. To get the singer’s signature look, ask your stylist to buzz the sides and back of your head, but leave the hair on top long (at least six inches).

If you’re not ready to chop off your locks, there are still plenty of other, less extreme ways to adopt Cyrus’s look for yourself. To start, look for a gaudy necklace. Hanging with hip-hop’s hottest producer Mike WiLL Made It seems to have inspired Cyrus to wear thick gold chains typically worn by rappers like 2 Chainz and Kanye West. Check out Forever21.com for the Luxe Multi-Chain Layered Necklace or Street-Femme Layered Necklace, just $12.80 and $10.80 respectively.

Next come the shoes. One of Cyrus’s most recognizable looks this year features the platform sneakers she wore in her “We Can’t Stop” music video. If you’re ready to be (literally) a step above the rest, you can buy the Superga Classic Flatform-Sneaker, complete with 1.5-inch platform, just $39.99 at urbanoutfitters.com. Target.com’s Xhilaration Saraphina Platform Sneaker comes with a 1.5-inch platform as well, but sells for a more college-friendly $16.98. Not ready for a platform sole? Skechers sells plenty of affordable sneakers that are more practical for everyday wear, but still have style.

When it comes to the attire itself, it’s easy to pick out pieces that would be fitting for a Miley Cyrus Halloween costume. (Nude-colored bikinis or Chuck E. Cheese-inspired leotards come to mind.) For everyday wear, however, pulling inspiration from some of her less eccentric looks might be the best option.

High-waisted pants are a staple in Cyrus’s wardrobe. Urban Outfitters and American Apparel each offer a large variety of high-waisted jeans and pants, but at $60-80, these might be a bit of a splurge for a college student. Forever21 has a nice selection of pants in vibrant patterns and different fabrics – and most for under $25. Check out the High-Waisted Faux Leather Pants ($22.80) or World Traveler Woven Pants ($17.80). To keep your outfit from being too eye-popping, pair with a simple white tank or T-shirt.

In addition to these staple items, Cyrus sports a range of interesting tops, from the red leotard she wore in a recent Terry Richardson photo shoot to a graphic tank top that features a joint-smoking Justin Bieber. Salvation Army, Roz’s Place in Northampton and even Wal-Mart have a great selection of novel tanks and T-shirts. An interesting top is the best way to show off your creativity while still emulating Cyrus’s recognizable style.

For the complete look, one might make a stop to the piercing parlor – or Claire’s, where clip-on earrings are often less than $10. And of course, don’t forget the number one rule of thumb: tongue out, always.

Jake Reed can be reached at [email protected].