Committee formed to address town-gown issues in Amherst

A joint committee composed of officials from the town of Amherst and the University of Massachusetts has been named to address issues facing the University and surrounding neighborhoods. These are called “town-gown” issues because they address concerns common to both residents and students in college towns.

UMass Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy and Amherst Town Manager John Musante made the announcement after the committee made the decision to hire a consultant to address town-gown issues that include housing plans, town and UMass economic development plans and future UMass expansion plans.

“We all recognize the importance of healthy town-gown relations, and this committee will focus on identifying common interests and goals that will strengthen and bind our communities. Collaboration is essential to future prosperity and quality of life,” Subbaswamy said.

Subbaswamy proposed the plan to Amherst town officials in April and offered for the University to split the $60,000 consultant fee with the town.

Town members voted to approve the proposal and the use of $30,000 for the consultant fee on May 15. The vote passed 122-46.

Issues of concern to the committee range from the long-term development of campus facilities such as buildings, dorms and parking to immediate solutions for noise complaints and disturbances in the neighborhoods that border the UMass campus.

Musante said, “I’m enthusiastic about the make-up of this committee, and the energy and expertise they will bring to the challenges and opportunities that we face. Amherst has rightly been described as one of the best college towns in America, and … maintaining that success hinges on mutual understanding and partnerships.”

UMass spokesperson Ed Blaguszewski said that students are vitally important to this process, which started in May and is expected to develop into a long-term conversation with the town.

“Although students are here for a limited amount of time, they really can make a great impact,” he said.

Blaguszewski pointed to the student input that influenced the development of the Honors College on campus, and said that while those students have come and gone, their influence remains.

The committee will hold its first public meeting on Oct. 30 at 4 p.m. in the Community Room of the UMass Police Department.

The committee, which includes two undergraduate student representatives, will start on Wednesday by approving the hiring of a consultant.

Students who want to get involved can attend public meetings or speak with Vice Chancellor Enku Gelaye or Savannah Van Leuvan-Smith, chairwoman of the Student Government Association’s state and federal organizing committee.

Jason Kotoch can be reached at [email protected].