Dayton men’s soccer remains undefeated

The No. 19 Dayton men’s soccer team remained undefeated after shutting out Valparaiso, 2-0, on Monday.

Flyers (9-0-0) midfielder Abe Keller scored both goals on free kicks, the first of which came on a penalty kick four minutes into the game. Then, in the 43rd minute, Keller managed to curve a 30-yard free kick over goalkeeper Nico Campbell’s head.

The Crusaders (3-3-3) amped up pressure in the second half, outshooting Dayton, 10-7. Neither team scored in the final 45 minutes, though.

Dayton led Valparaiso in corner kicks (4-3), overall shots (14-12) and shots on goal (6-4). Keller shot four of the six total shots on goal, more than the rest of the team combined.

Dayton is just one game away from going undefeated in non-conference play.

If the Flyers can defeat Incarnate Word this upcoming Friday, they will open up Atlantic 10 play with George Washington on Oct. 11 as the only unbeaten team in the conference.

St. Bonaventure drops overtime contest

Canisius’ Will Hudson led his team to a 2-1 victory over St. Bonaventure on Sunday.

Following a scoreless first half, the Bonnies (6-4-0) earned a spot on the board when Garrett Pasono fired a shot into the back of the net. Shortly afterward, the Golden Griffins (4-3-1) responded with a 20-yard snipe by Hudson.

The match remained tied at the end of regulation and Canisius was granted a penalty kick when freshman defender Thomas Teupen was knocked down in the box during a Bonnie 35-yard free kick. Hudson took the penalty kick and score his second goal, giving the Golden Griffins the overtime win.

Up next for St. Bonaventure is its final non-conference game against St. Francis on Sunday.

Patriots win 1-0 over Hartford

With just seconds left in the first half, George Mason’s Laurent Newsome connected on a chaotic corner kick rebound, giving the Patriots a 1-0 victory over Hartford on Saturday night.

Newsome’s goal was his first of the season and gave George Mason (5-2-1) its first ever win against the Hawks (6-1-2).

Minutes before the game-winning goal, Hartford exhibited its best scoring opportunity when Romario Jones took a shot from 20 yards out that rattled off the crossbar. The Hawks’ celebration, however, was cut short, as Patriots goalkeeper Steffen Kraus got a hand on the deflection and it was ruled a no goal.

George Mason snapped a two-game losing streak with the win and will return home to kick off A-10 play this week. The Patriots will host Rhode Island on Oct. 11.

Robert Acer can be reached at [email protected].