Massachusetts Daily Collegian

Fire at Hampshire College displaces 44

By Patrick Hoff

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Margaret Almon/Flickr

A fire at Hampshire College’s Greenwich House dormitory on Sunday afternoon forced 44 students out of their housing for the next few days.

“All indications are that it was an accidental fire,” said Elaine Thomas, Hampshire College spokeswoman.

The fire began between 4:15 and 4:30 p.m. on a porch attached to Greenwich and then spread up the building, Thomas said.

The Daily Hampshire Gazette reported that campus police officer David Arroyo was briefly hospitalized for smoke inhalation at Cooley Dickinson Hospital. No one else was harmed in the fire.

All 44 of the students who live in Greenwich were temporarily relocated to other dorms or locations around campus, or are staying with friends, said Thomas. MassLive previously reported that some students would be sent to a hotel, but Thomas said that measure turned out to be unnecessary.

Greenwich is made up of a number of suites. All but five students living in one suite will be allowed to return to their dorm in the coming days. The one exception is due to water damage in the room caused by sprinklers that went off during the fire.

“We’re very appreciative to the Amherst Fire Department,” said Thomas, adding, “The most important thing was that everyone was safe.”

The Gazette reported that classes resumed as usual on Monday morning.

Patrick Hoff can be reached at [email protected]

1 Comment

One Response to “Fire at Hampshire College displaces 44”

  1. Larry Kelley on October 29th, 2013 10:45 pm

    A student thought it wise to dry a sweater in a microwave oven. When it ignited he put water on it (not enough obviously) and then left it on the front porch.
    http://www.onlyintherepublicofamherst.blogspot.com/2013/10/hampshire-college-fire.html

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.