George Mason men’s soccer remains undefeated in conference play

After fighting through regulation and two overtime periods, George Mason and La Salle settled for a 1-1 tie on Sunday.

Peter Dutton/Flickr

The Explorers struck first on Rob Friskey’s goal in the 35th minute. Nick Becker was credited with the assist. La Salle did not hold the lead for long, however, as Jannik Eckenrode tied the game for the Patriots with his 50th minute goal, which was his fourth of the season. Taylor Washington made the assist.

Explorers keeper John McCarthy tallied 11 saves, allowing La Salle to survive a 12-3 shots-on-goal disadvantage. Overall, George Mason outshot La Salle 23-7.

The Patriots now stand at 7-2-3, boasting a 2-0-2 Atlantic 10 record. They return to action on Friday, when they welcome Rhode Island.

The Explorers will play again on Sunday, when Dayton comes to town for an A-10 matchup.

Saint Louis keeps A-10 lead

The Saint Louis men’s soccer team remained atop the A-10 with their 2-0 defeat of Duquesne on Sunday.

The Billikens jumped out to an early lead on junior forward Raymond Lee’s 7th minute goal. Senior midfielder Alex Sweetin added to the lead with a goal in the 35th minute, which was his fifth of the year. Sweetin finished with a goal and an assist.

The Billikens improved to 3-0-3 in the A-10, and 9-3-2 overall. Duquesne dropped to 2-3 in the A-10, and 7-7 overall. The Dukes will travel to Rhode Island on Sunday to take on the Rams.

Saint Louis senior goalkeeper Nick Shackelford made four saves and moved to third all-time on the team’s win list for goalkeepers. The Billikens will face a tough task on Thursday, when they travel to Louisville.

Saint Joseph’s earns first A-10 win of season

Saint Joseph’s ended a season-long A-10 losing streak by defeating Virginia Commonwealth on Sunday.

The game’s lone goal came in the 85th minute, when senior forward Ryan McFadden scored the first goal of his collegiate career with an assist from Tim Lazorko. The loss was the Rams’ first in the A-10.

The Hawks now stand at 1-4 in the A-10, and 3-7-5 overall. They will travel to Saint Louis on Sunday for their next game.

With the loss, the Rams fell to 3-1-1 in the A-10, and 8-5-2 overall. They return home Wednesday to face Old Dominion.

Eugene Kucinski can be reached at [email protected].