VCU knocks off Saint Louis in A-10 men’s soccer action

The Virginia Commonwealth men’s soccer team scored two goals in the second half on Sunday to defeat No. 22 Saint Louis, 2-1, in Atlantic 10 play.

The Rams (4-4-1) trailed 1-0 in the late stages of the second half, but a pair of strikes by Garrett Harvey and Jose Manel allowed VCU to come through with the victory.

For most of the afternoon, both teams struggled on offense. The Billikens’ (6-3) only goal came off a shot by David Graydon that deflected into the net off a VCU defender.

The Rams, meanwhile, were held scoreless for the first 73 minutes of the game, and they struggled to get past Saint Louis goalkeeper Nick Shackelford.

The tide turned when Harvey came off the bench in the 70th minute. Four minutes later, he scored off a header set up by Nate Shiffman. Manel then put home the game-winning goal in the 85th minute.

Saint Louis will look to rebound at home Friday at 7:30 p.m. against Fordham. VCU opens conference play on Friday when it hosts UMass at 7:30 p.m.

No. 18 Dayton stays undefeated in 2OT

No. 18 Dayton kept its perfect season alive when the team beat Incarnate Word on Friday, 3-2, in double overtime.

The Flyers (10-0) were in danger of being upset on their own turf, until Andres Acevedo scored his first goal of the year in the 107th minute.

After a scoreless first half, Christopher Lenning headed home a corner kick in the 54th minute to give Dayton a brief lead. But the Cardinals jumped ahead after a pair of goals by Vincent Bailey in the 65th and 73rd minutes. Greg Enstone then tied the game with less than 10 minutes remaining to force overtime.

Incarnate Word (3-4) nearly came away with a signature win in its first year as a Division I program, but ultimately could not pull off the upset after carrying the pace of play for much of the game.

The Flyers will look to stay undefeated when they open up A-10 play at home against George Washington on Friday at 7 p.m.

St. Bonaventure battles to a tie

St. Bonaventure could not come away with a victory on Sunday, as it tied Saint Francis (Pa.), 1-1.

Brad Vanino scored an early goal for the Bonnies (6-4-1), but that was all they could muster as they couldn’t find the back of the net again during regulation and overtime.

Vanino’s goal came just 23 seconds into the game and put St. Bonaventure ahead for most of the first half. The Red Flash (7-2-2) scored their only goal in the last minute of the half, as Bryan Causey snuck one through just seconds before the break.

With neither offense producing, it was the defense that took center stage. Daniel Valcicak recorded nine saves on the day for Saint Francis, while the Bonnies allowed 20 shots, six of which were on net.

St. Bonaventure’s next contest will be its first A-10 game of the season at Saint Joseph’s on Friday at 7 p.m.

Ross Gienieczko can be reached at [email protected].