Duquesne women’s basketball victorious in Maggie Dixon Classic

After a 10-0 run to close out the game, the Duquesne women’s basketball team defeated Cal Poly 84-69 on Friday.

mvongrue/Flickr

The Dukes’ offense was led by Raegan Moore with 19 points and Wumi Agunbiade with 20 points and nine rebounds.

The Mustangs were led by Ariana Elegado with 20 points and Jonae Ervin with 19 points. On defense, Duquesne held Molly Schlemer to nine points.

The Dukes shot 56.4 percent from the floor and 6-for-12 from beyond the arc, all while holding the Mustangs to 34.4 percent from the field.

Duquesne came in second place in the tournament after losing 88-77 to DePaul on Saturday.

Fordham starts season off strong

Thanks to strong play from its backcourt, Fordham earned an 80-66 win over San Francisco on Friday.

For the Lady Rams, Erin Rooney hit 4-of-5 3-point shots en route to a 19 point, 10 rebound and a five assist performance. Abigail Corning totaled 22 points and six assists, and Hannah Missry added on 14 points.

The Lady Dons struggled on offense, shooting 41.9 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from 3-point range. Taj Winston led the team with 19 points, while Rachel Howard added 16 points.

Fordham suffered a setback on Sunday though, with a loss to Penn State.

Reigning A-10 champions victorious in opener

Saint Joseph’s defeated Mount St. Mary’s 85-57 on Friday in the first round of the Preseason Women’s National Invitational Tournament.

Sarah Fairbanks led the Hawks with 17 points, while Erin Shields added on 15 points.

The Hawks shot 50.9 percent from the floor while holding the Mountaineers to 36 percent.

Mount St. Mary’s Sydney Henderson was the game’s leading scorer with 21 points.

Saint Joseph’s went on to fall in the second round of the Preseason WNIT against Louisiana State.

Eugene Kucinski can be reached at [email protected]