Local student plans to ‘outlive’ his dream with clothing line

Facebook

From musicians to painters to clothing designers, the Pioneer Valley is full of talented artists, including Burke Cullinane of Monson. The lead singer of the Ludlow-based metal hardcore band In Numbers recently launched an Indiegogo campaign to fund a new clothing line called Outlive.

As part of the campaign, four T-shirts are currently available to pre-order for $15 each. The shirts feature two designs on either a gray or black tee: one is a simple feather while the other, inspired by a dream catcher, features three feathers and the brand’s logo. The 30-day campaign ends on Nov. 23 and has currently raised $60 of its $1,000 goal. If the campaign is unsuccessful, he will take out a $1,000 loan or fund the project from his savings account.

“The plan is to have profit, but I’m not expecting a huge amount,” Cullinane said. “I’m more about spreading the message and helping out other, younger bands and younger designers.”

The hope that the brand will spread is summed up by the line’s motto: “Outlive your dreams.” For Cullinane, this project is his chance to do just that. He added that the line’s two T-shirt designs capture this message.

“The feather and dream catcher (represent) protection,” he said. “Protecting and leading yourself, (and) being who you are.”

The process hasn’t been without its share of obstacles, however.

“Some people have been like, ‘Why are you wasting your time doing graphic design? You should grow up and get a real job,’” he said, adding, “This is what I’m passionate about.”

Others have encouraged Cullinane to try to achieve a goal that many never aspire to.

“My whole family is supportive of me. Even my grandparents,” he said. “I don’t know if I’d be in a band or doing this if my parents weren’t as supportive as they are.”

Aside from lack of funding and lack of support from some friends, the biggest challenge for Cullinane was deciding on a name that suited the brand.

“I would wake up one day and be like, ‘This is a cool name,’” he said. “The next day (I’d) be like, ‘That’s stupid. What was I thinking?’”

When he stumbled upon “Outlive,” it felt right: “The minute I thought of it I was like, ‘That’s it,’” he said.

Aside from Outlive, Cullinane operates Burke Cullinane Design & Media, through which he creates album covers, merchandise and lyric videos for other bands. He is also a part-time student at Holyoke Community College. While he has been learning design for six years and doing more serious design work for the past three, Outlive is his first attempt at a full-fledged clothing line.

After the initial line of shirts, Cullinane hopes to create beanie hats with the brand’s logo, jackets, hoodies and more shirt designs. In addition, he plans to create basketball shorts for the spring season, a staple of hardcore and pop punk music culture.

“You’ll go to Warped Tour and every kid, if they’re wearing basketball shorts, it’s a band’s basketball shorts,” he said.

Cullinane hopes to get the first batch of shirts out in December, just in time for the holiday season. If you’re still looking for the perfect Christmas present for your family, he’s got an idea: “Buy a shirt for your dad.”

Jake Reed can be reached at [email protected].