NIU defeats Toledo, Bowling Green runs over Eastern Michigan

Corey Seeman/Flickr

The Bowling Green football team won its eighth game of the season on Saturday, routing Eastern Michigan.

The Falcons (8-3, 6-1 Mid-American Conference) outplayed the Eagles (2-9, 1-6 MAC) on both sides of the ball, recording 560 total yards on offense while only allowing 65 the entire game. The Bowling Green duo of quarterback Matt Johnson and wide receiver Ronnie Moore put on a show for fans, hooking up three times for touchdowns, including a 74-yard score in the first quarter.

Johnson went 13-for-23 for 264 yards and three touchdowns, while throwing one interception that was ran back by redshirt senior Sean Kurtz for Eastern Michigan’s only touchdown of the game. Moore finished with seven receptions for 161 yards and three touchdowns.

Running back Travis Greene also had a big day for the Falcons, rushing for 126 yards and two touchdowns on 15 carries, pushing his season total to 1,293 yards.

Both teams will be on the road Friday afternoon, with Bowling Green traveling to Buffalo and the Eagles facing in-state rival Central Michigan.

NIU defeats Toledo

The No. 18 Northern Illinois football team scored 21 unanswered points in the second half to defeat Toledo 35-17 on Wednesday night in a conference battle.

Led by a three touchdown performance from quarterback Jordan Lynch, the Huskies (11-0, 7-0 MAC) scored all their points on the ground, racking up 364 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

A receiving touchdown from Bernard Reedy gave the Rockets (7-4, 5-2 MAC) a 17-14 lead with eight minutes, 34 seconds left in the third quarter, although that would be the last time Toledo found the end zone.

Two rushing touchdowns from Lynch, followed by a rushing score from redshirt Junior James Spencer, gave Northern Illinois a 35-17 lead. Spencer had two touchdowns for the game, while fellow redshirt junior Cameron Stingily picked up 152 yards on 18 carries.

Quarterback Terrance Owens had a solid day for the Rockets, throwing for both of his team’s touchdowns while completing 17 passes for 235 yards.

The Huskies will play Western Michigan Tuesday night as they look to finish MAC play undefeated, while the Rockets head to Akron Friday afternoon in a battle of Ohio schools.

Buffalo handles Akron

The Buffalo football team defeated Miami (Ohio) by a score of 44-7 last Tuesday.

The game was all Bulls (8-3, 6-1 MAC) from the start, scoring all 44 of their points before the Redhawks (0-11, 0-7 MAC) could score their first points of the game on a touchdown with three minutes, four seconds left in the fourth quarter.

Leading the charge for Buffalo were running backs Anthone Taylor and Branden Oliver, who combined for 304 yards and two touchdowns for the game. Bulls quarterback Joe Licata also had a good outing, throwing for 172 yards and a touchdown.

Buffalo dominated on the stat sheet, gaining a total of 517 offensive yards, while Miami could only collect 200. The Bulls defense was able to shut down Miami’s pass game, allowing only 65 yards through the air.

After a scoreless first quarter, Buffalo busted the game wide open with 28 consecutive points, including two touchdown runs from Oliver and a defensive touchdown by defensive back Okoye Houston.

The RedHawks will try and get their first win of the season when they take on Ball State this Friday.

Jason Kates can be reached at [email protected].