Toledo dominates Eastern Michigan, becomes bowl eligible

Toledo crushed Eastern Michigan 55-16 in a Mid-American Conference matchup on Saturday.

charamelody/Flickr

Senior quarterback Terrance Owens led the Rockets (6-3, 4-1 MAC) with 375 yards and three touchdowns.

Toledo played without running back David Fluellen, who was sidelined with an injury. Kareem Hunt stepped in as his replacement and scored two touchdowns while rushing for 168 yards on 20 carries.

Justin Olack was Owens’ favorite target, as he finished with 110 receiving yards and a touchdown.

The Eagles (1-8, 0-5 Mac) remained in the cellar of the MAC with the loss. Quarterback Brogan Roback completed 11 of 22 passes for 209 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. Ryan Brumfield led the ground game, rushing for 67 yards on 17 attempts.

The Rockets dominated from the beginning, taking a 38-10 lead into halftime. Toledo spread the wealth on offense as Hunt, Damion Jones-Moore, Marc Remy and Ricky Pringle all rushed for over 50 yards, while nine different players recorded a catch, three of them scoring touchdowns.

Eastern Michigan will strive for its first MAC win on Saturday when it faces Western Michigan, and Toledo returns to action on Nov. 12 for a matchup with Buffalo.

Solid defense leads Akron over Kent State

The Akron defense led the way for the Zips on Saturday as they defeated Kent State 16-7 behind five forced turnovers while holding the Golden Flashes to just 304 total yards.

Akron (3-7, 2-4 MAC) was led on defense by Johnny Robinson, who recovered a fumble and an interception. Jatavis Brown was also a key contributor, making 16 tackles and forcing a fumble.

The Zips stuck early when quarterback Kyle Pohl lateraled the ball to Zach D’Orazio, who threw a 33-yard touchdown to L.T. Smith.

Pohl finished the game completing 8 of 19 passes for 98 yards. Meanwhile, running back Jawon Chisholm rushed for 151 yards.

Highlighting the offensive woes for Kent State (2-8, 1-5 MAC) were three interceptions by quarterback Colin Reardon.

The only light on the horizon for the Golden Flashes was running back Trayion Durham, who ran for 82 yards and scored the team’s only touchdown.

Zips kicker Robert Stein connected on all three field goal attempts.

Kent State returns to action on Nov. 13 when it faces Miami (Ohio), and Akron has some time off before the team travels to Foxboro on Nov. 16 for a matchup with Massachusetts.

Eugene Kucinski can be reached at [email protected].