UConn tops Florida thanks to Shabazz Napier

With his team down by one in the waning seconds on Monday night, senior guard Shabazz Napier stepped up and hit a game winner to help the Connecticut men’s basketball team defeat Florida 65-64 in Storrs, Conn.

Rob Wright/Flickr

This matchup between the No. 15 Gators and the No. 12 Huskies had it all, including six lead changes in the final six minutes, and a four-point play that gave UConn a one-point lead with 33 seconds left.

Then, after a Michael Frazier layup gave Florida a 64-63 lead with 17.7 seconds left, the Huskies had one last chance to keep their undefeated season alive.

Napier, who had 26 points on 9-of-15 shooting, threw up a highly contested shot with three seconds left.  His shot missed, but DeAndre Daniels tipped the rebound back out to Napier, who drilled the game winner from the free throw line.

The buzzer beater stunned the Gators (6-2). Despite dominating inside, including 19 points and seven rebounds from forward Casey Prather, the outside attack of UConn (8-0) was too much to overcome.

The Huskies will take on Maine on Friday in their next game while Florida will face Kansas on Dec. 10th.

Memphis wins Old Spice Classic

No. 21 Memphis upset fifth-ranked Oklahoma State 73-68 to win the Old Spice Classic on Sunday.

Despite a 10-point halftime deficit, the Tigers outscored the Cowboys 41-26 in the second half to secure the victory.

Memphis (5-1) was led by sophomore forward Shaq Goodwin, who played all but one minute in a 17-point, eight-rebound performance.

Marcus Smart only managed 12 points in OSU’s (7-1) loss.

The Cowboys hope to bounce back at home on Friday, when they face South Carolina.

Memphis will put its four-game win streak on the line on Saturday when it travels to face Northwestern State.

Arizona wins NIT Season Tip-Off

In an early matchup of top-10 teams, No. 4 Arizona outlasted No. 6 Duke 72-66 on Friday to win the NIT Season Tip-Off at Madison Square Garden.

Despite the hype surrounding Aaron Gordon and Jabari Parker, it was the Wildcats’ balanced attack that in the end proved to be key.

The Blue Devils’ Parker and Rodney Hood combined for 40 points, while Arizona had all five starters in double figures.

It was the patient play of Gordon, who finished with 10 points and 7 rebounds, which helped jumpstart a 22-8 run in the second half, a run that was capped by an alley-oop.  He also had a key block with 45 seconds left.

Duke’s (6-2) next game took place against Michigan on Tuesday night.

Arizona’s (6-0) next contest was against Texas Tech on Tuesday.

Connor McCarthy can be reached at [email protected].