Musicians look great, take few risks at Grammys

MCT
MCT

With awards show season in full swing, Sunday night ushered in the first major music awards show of the year. The Grammys give musicians and others involved in the music business the chance to steal the fashion spotlight from movie and TV stars, and this year, music’s biggest names didn’t disappoint. While there were no big shockers like J. Lo’s infamous belly-bearing neckline or 2 Chainz’s cape at last year’s event, last night’s red carpet was certainly a high-fashion affair.

Best non-tacky use of musical notation: Katy Perry

When thinking of tacky uses of musical notation, a lot of bad tattoos come to mind. Musical notation is one of the most cliché ways to show off a passion for music, but Perry’s reserved off-white dress hit every note. She paired the sheer sheet music ensemble with a huge, high bun for a look that should keep her far from this week’s worst dressed lists.

Best random duo: Paris Hilton and Birdman

At 32, Hilton is finally almost dressing her age. Sporting a dress with a turtleneck cut, the most shocking part of her look was her date: Cash Money Records co-founder Birdman. Of course, the pairing of the heiress and the 44-year-old rapper makes more sense than you might think: Hilton is planning to release her long-overdue second album with Cash Money this year (Hurray).

Most meh: Taylor Swift

At this point, Taylor Swift is almost always guaranteed to attend the Grammys – because she’s almost always guaranteed to be nominated for something. Over the years, she’s perfected the classic Hollywood beauty look. The advantage is that she never finds herself on the worst dressed list, but her fear of taking fashion risks takes away from the excitement of seeing country’s biggest star on the red carpet.

Most dapper: Daft Punk

The electronic duo took home the night’s top prize – and they looked great doing it. Daft Punk seems to go for the same style at each award show, but while their tuxedos and bowties might be the most quintessential men’s formal look, their robotic hands and helmets give the look a twist that no other artist could pull off. And compared to Deadmau5’s helmet, jeans and a t-shirt at the 2012 ceremony, it’s a valiant effort.

Best Bono impression: Ringo Starr

When Starr took to the stage at Sunday’s ceremony, every person in the office at my internship asked the same question: is that Bono? His short hair and blue-tinted glasses made the rock legend look just like the U2 front man. Even the stars on his shirt collar weren’t enough to help his identity shine through at first glance.

Best pregnancy: Ciara

Ciara makes pregnancy look real good. Her blonde locks, gold-accented dress and gleaming smile might have even topped Beyoncé’s pregnancy reveal on the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards red carpet. Talk about a pregnancy glow.

Worst mom trying to reclaim her youth: Madonna

When Nelly and Paul Wall released the song “Grillz” in 2005, featuring the line “Let me see your grill,” they weren’t talking to Madonna. A 55-year-old woman wearing a grill is intrinsically questionable, but her choice in grill is even more so: a diamond-studded mouthpiece would certainly be more flattering than the did-she-forget-to-brush-her-teeth-today gold frames she picked.

Best hat: Pharrell

Pharrell’s red carpet look told us one thing: he was thinkin’ Arby’s.

Sexiest: Beyoncé

One of the simplest performances of the night will be one of its most memorable thanks to Beyoncé’s booty-baring black leotard. When she and Jay-Z performed “Drunk in Love” to open the show, B kept it simple with choreography on a chair at center stage and wet hair that suggested that she and Jay-Z had just ridden a wave or two on his “surfboart.” Her white cutout red carpet dress wasn’t too shabby, either.

Best-dressed winner not in attendance: Rihanna

Rihanna might not have made an appearance on the red carpet, but the Best Urban Contemporary Album winner stunned at Clive Davis’s pre-Grammy gala the night before. The singer showed a lot of skin – and tattoo – in a robe-like yellow gown. No one can pull off a bared leg, ornate hand tattoo and stomach tattoo quite like Rihanna.

Best-dressed: Ryan Lewis

Macklemore’s partner in musical crime joined him in being one of the night’s biggest stars. The pair swept the rap categories and took home the coveted Best New Artist gramophone, and Lewis looked suave doing so. His houndstooth suit, paired with a black shirt and tie, was a daring move in a night where men take few fashion risks. To his advantage, it looked even better next to Macklemore’s goofy teal velour suit and bowtie.

Jake Reed can be reached at [email protected].