Meghan McCain to talk about power of resilience

Megan McCain (left) sits with her grandmother Roberta McCain during the first day of the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minnesota, Monday, September 1, 2008. (Marc Lester/Anchorage Daily News/MCT)

Meghan McCain, daughter of Senator John McCain, will be speaking at Mount Holyoke College on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m. in the Gamble Auditorium in the Art Building.

Educated at Columbia University, McCain is a young republican and blogger with political views following in the footsteps of her father, who ran for president in 2008 against current commander-in-chief Barack Obama.

In her talk, McCain will be discussing what it is like to be a Republican and how people reacted when she spoke about being a one. McCain is often quoted saying, “I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people’s lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican.”

She will also be talking about how she influences people, particularly women and younger voters.

McCain is the author of three books, including a children’s book about her father. She has appeared on television programs such as “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” and, according to an article by Adam Sneed on Politico.com, McCain is planning to host a weeknight news talk show with Jacob Soboroff called “TakePart Live.” The program will be shown weekdays at midnight on Pivot.

McCain is currently a columnist for The Daily Beast and began appearing as a contributor for MSNBC in 2011. In 2013 she began hosting a show on Pivot called “Raising McCain,” in which she uses her personal experience to address issues facing Americans aged 18 to 34.

McCain’s speech is sponsored by Mount Holyoke’s Weissman Center for Leadership, and it will be free and open to the public.

Marleigh Felenstein can be reached at [email protected].